My rooster was attacked by a dog, what do I do?

Gina Maria

Hatching
Jul 20, 2016
This happened about three hours ago. I'm not sure what happened because my dog is not typically aggressive or even interested in our chickens. I found our rooster, who is 6 months old, in the woods in our fenced in back yard. (he must have gotten out of his pen as they are never out free ranging while my dogs are out) I brought him up to the house, he was panting and missing all the feathers on his back. His back is raw, bloody and missing some skin. It was bloody, but not "bleeding" bad, if that makes sense. It does look like he has a couple of puncture wounds, but they don't look too deep. I washed the injured areas with warm water, put neopsorin on him and wrapped him loosely in a light gauze. I then covered him with a towel because he was shaking and, I'm assuming, going into shock. He is breathing better now, he will raise his head, but he cannot stand. He will not drink any water. Am I doing the right thing? I don't want him to suffer if it's likely he won't survive this, but if he can survive this, I want to do everything I can to help him. I'm very worried, of course, and especially because he cannot, or will not stand up. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated! He is a beautiful Americuana Rooster who is so sweet and friendly. Thank you so much!

Put RAW honey on his wounds and wrap them. Try to get him to eat and drink. Yes you are doing the right thing!
Raw honey will heal him up sooo fast!
Keep him in the house or your garage, so that he will stay safe.

-BCP

Thank you SO very much! Can I get raw honey at the store? Maybe I could check the local farmers market? I have been trying to get him to eat, or at least drink, and he won't. I have a small dropper I tried to use to put some water in his mouth, but he won't open his beak. He won't even open his eyes right now. He won't lift his head, move his legs (he did move his right foot a little bit) and won't try to stand. I feel so helpless, and so sad for him. I will definitely try to find raw honey first thing in the morning. I'm hoping he makes it through the night. I just don't know if he's at the point where it would be more humane if I put him out of his misery, or if he has a chance to make it, I want to save him! Thank you for your help!

Thank you SO very much! Can I get raw honey at the store? Maybe I could check the local farmers market? I have been trying to get him to eat, or at least drink, and he won't. I have a small dropper I tried to use to put some water in his mouth, but he won't open his beak. He won't even open his eyes right now. He won't lift his head, move his legs (he did move his right foot a little bit) and won't try to stand. I feel so helpless, and so sad for him. I will definitely try to find raw honey first thing in the morning. I'm hoping he makes it through the night. I just don't know if he's at the point where it would be more humane if I put him out of his misery, or if he has a chance to make it, I want to save him! Thank you for your help!
You can buy raw honey from a local farmer( That sells it RAW) You can get it at a health food store also.
I hope he makes it through the night!!

-BCP

Also if you can't find the honey you can use Vetericyn you can get it at any feed store that sells dog , chicken, horse stuff. The gel form is $30.00 but well worth it. You can use it on any animal from dogs, cats, goats, horses, birds etc. Then you can get a sheet of cotton to put on top of the Vetericyn (at a feed store in the horse section) Then wrap it all in Vet wrap (in the horse section too) Hope this helps:)

He didn't make it. He passed that night......I was heartbroken, he was the most beautiful rooster I had ever seen and so sweet! After I had posted on here, I went back to tend to him. Put raw honey on his wounds (I found some in my cabinet that I had bought when I first got my chickens!) and he was moving his head around a little more and seemed more alert, so I felt hopeful. But I think he suffered from internal injuries/bleeding. Thank you so much for asking about him.

Thank you so much for the information! My poor rooster didn't make it through the night. But I will pick some of this up to keep on hand, especially since it can be used on a variety of animals.

He didn't make it. He passed that night......I was heartbroken, he was the most beautiful rooster I had ever seen and so sweet! After I had posted on here, I went back to tend to him. Put raw honey on his wounds (I found some in my cabinet that I had bought when I first got my chickens!) and he was moving his head around a little more and seemed more alert, so I felt hopeful. But I think he suffered from internal injuries/bleeding. Thank you so much for asking about him.
so sorry Gina Maria!

Back
Top Bottom