My Rooster was bit by a dog, he has a chunk of skin missing. HELP

giannaamariee16

Hatching
Apr 4, 2023
My Rooster got out of the coop this morning and the dogs went out and where playing with the rooster. He got injured under his wing, it looks like a piece of skin is missing and there is a smaller cut on his tail. I went to Tractor Supply and they gave me an antiseptic spray so I can spray the injury. I will include pictures of the cuts. If there is anything else recommended I should do please let me know. This is our only rooster and I am really sad I hope he can make it. He is currently up and walking around I have seperated him from the other chickens for a little now he is back in the coop sleeping. I just finished rinsing off his wounds with water and hydrogen peroxide. He is about 4 weeks old and I am not sure what breed but pictures are attached. I’m not sure how deep the cut is as well I plan on checking on him every couple of hours. If someone can tell me the severity of it and if he has a chance to survive. (EDIT: I HAVE ADDED PICTURES)

Attachments

• CB3634A6-CEFA-4B09-ACBB-8F84585DA173.jpeg
    CB3634A6-CEFA-4B09-ACBB-8F84585DA173.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 787B327C-F259-4F14-A18C-0ED4B1BF769D.jpeg
    787B327C-F259-4F14-A18C-0ED4B1BF769D.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3D741895-D8A7-4FE5-B96D-88A23133B3F0.jpeg
    3D741895-D8A7-4FE5-B96D-88A23133B3F0.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1A113F7E-03CA-48C2-B0E8-43495840489D.jpeg
    1A113F7E-03CA-48C2-B0E8-43495840489D.jpeg
    416.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 539F0AD1-7527-45A9-A437-E631FCCE4E37.jpeg
    539F0AD1-7527-45A9-A437-E631FCCE4E37.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yes, he can survive. Looks like he lost a bunch of feathers and a flap of skin. Use some plain triple antibiotic ointment to cover the wound and keep it moist. If you need to clean it again, use some sterile saline, mild soapy water, or veterycin spray rather than the peroxide. Let it dry and then reapply the ointment. Reapply as needed, several times a day, to keep it covered. Keeping him on puppy pads or clean bath towels will help to keep it clean. It will scab up, and slowly heal as long as there is no infection. Signs of infection would be a bad smell, redness and swelling beyond what would be expected from the trauma, pus or discharge from the wound. Make sure he's eating and drinking, drinking is most important intitially. If you have some electrolites, offer him those today. I would keep him separated until he's healed enough that others won't peck his wound and make it worse. I've seen them recover from much worse. As long as there are no internal injuries, they can recover from some pretty awful stuff.

Yes, he can survive. Looks like he lost a bunch of feathers and a flap of skin. Use some plain triple antibiotic ointment to cover the wound and keep it moist. If you need to clean it again, use some sterile saline, mild soapy water, or veterycin spray rather than the peroxide. Let it dry and then reapply the ointment. Reapply as needed, several times a day, to keep it covered. Keeping him on puppy pads or clean bath towels will help to keep it clean. It will scab up, and slowly heal as long as there is no infection. Signs of infection would be a bad smell, redness and swelling beyond what would be expected from the trauma, pus or discharge from the wound. Make sure he's eating and drinking, drinking is most important intitially. If you have some electrolites, offer him those today. I would keep him separated until he's healed enough that others won't peck his wound and make it worse. I've seen them recover from much worse. As long as there are no internal injuries, they can recover from some pretty awful stuff.
We have been spraying the injury with aintibiotic spray but he has been tired all the time and has slowly stopped walking around at all. The injury doesn’t look infected so i’m not sure what could be happening. We put the food right in front of him so he drinks and eats but has been pooping on himself today.

Have you gone over him thoroughly to make sure there are no injuries that you missed seeing? Punctures in particular can hide in feathers. Current pictures of the injuries and his droppings might be helpful. Do you have any antibiotics, like amoxicillin, on hand? Also possible he might have internal injuries or is very, very sore, dogs tend to shake and squeeze their prey.

Back
Top Bottom