My rooster was exposed to a windy 30 degrees and seems sick; is there anything I can do for him?

Hopefully, he will be doing better in the morning. Amoxicillin is usually not used for the bacterial respiratory diseases. There are viral and fungal diseases and they don’t respond to antibiotics. It could be that he was just having something temporary, and he is getting over it.
I use amoxicillin for respiratory. I use it for any infection.

The sounds she is making is stridor. But she is also sneezing. Stridor is a sound made when there is something in the airway partially blocking it, such as a small piece of feed, mucus, or swelling. Most likely from a respiratory infection.

The sounds she is making is stridor. But she is also sneezing. Stridor is a sound made when there is something in the airway partially blocking it, such as a small piece of feed, mucus, or swelling. Most likely from a respiratory infection.
So should I try Baytril or the other one? I might be able to make a run to tractor supply tomorrow. I didn't see any instructions on how to use the Tylen one on a chicken.

I use amoxicillin for respiratory. I use it for any infection.
Maybe I should try the amoxicillin tonight then... if it is due to an infection, the mox must have helped Wild Thang.

So should I try Baytril or the other one? I might be able to make a run to tractor supply tomorrow. I didn't see any instructions on how to use the Tylen one on a chicken.

Maybe I should try the amoxicillin tonight then... if it is due to an infection, the mox must have helped Wild Thang.
I don5 think you can get baytril fast. Some pigeon places sell it online. I joule just use what you have on hand. Sounds like something is going through all your birds.

I don5 think you can get baytril fast. Some pigeon places sell it online. I joule just use what you have on hand. Sounds like something is going through all your birds.
I think my vet might give me some (it would be in cat doses though). I just saw Tractor doesn't have any.

I agree. I hope it won't be too bad. I'm just glad I don't see the signs of mycoplasma... and I don't know how they would get that unless it's through wild birds because I don't go around other flocks and there haven't been any new birds added to the flock. But I do free-range them when I can be there to supervise.

There can be viruses that cause respiratory diseases in chickens as well as mycoplasma (MG) and others. Antibiotics will not treat MG or bacterial diseases. Those have to run their course over time.

Baytril (enrofloxacin) 10% dosage for chickens is 0.05 ml per pound given twice a day for 5 days. It can be found online at jedds.com. Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times daily for 3-5 days, and it is given orally without the needle. It will require a needle and syringe to get it out of the vial.

There can be viruses that cause respiratory diseases in chickens as well as mycoplasma (MG) and others. Antibiotics will not treat MG or bacterial diseases. Those have to run their course over time.
Ah, I see. GoldieFeathers the Second isn't making that stridor sound today. Hoping that's a good sign!

Baytril (enrofloxacin) 10% dosage for chickens is 0.05 ml per pound given twice a day for 5 days. It can be found online at jedds.com. Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times daily for 3-5 days, and it is given orally without the needle. It will require a needle and syringe to get it out of the vial.
Thank you!

DENAGARD contains 12.5 % Tiamulin Hydrogen Fumarate as the active ingredient. DENAGARD has a long history of excellent activity against the Respiratory Organism that causes CRD in Chickens, Mycoplasma gallisepticum. It also has excellent activity against MS or Mycoplasma synoviae as well.

In addition, you can use Denagard as a preventative treatment and give to the entire flock every four to 6 weeks, on average, in their drinking water, for about seven days at a time.
There is no withdrawal for eggs with Denagard, so you can continue to consume eggs. It IS an antibiotic, but resistance does not develop.
Resistance DOES develop withTylan and Baytril; furthermore, Baytril is not approved for use in poultry, although it is still a very good antibiotic for certain conditions in poultry.

DENAGARD contains 12.5 % Tiamulin Hydrogen Fumarate as the active ingredient. DENAGARD has a long history of excellent activity against the Respiratory Organism that causes CRD in Chickens, Mycoplasma gallisepticum. It also has excellent activity against MS or Mycoplasma synoviae as well.

In addition, you can use Denagard as a preventative treatment and give to the entire flock every four to 6 weeks, on average, in their drinking water, for about seven days at a time.
There is no withdrawal for eggs with Denagard, so you can continue to consume eggs. It IS an antibiotic, but resistance does not develop.
Resistance DOES develop withTylan and Baytril; furthermore, Baytril is not approved for use in poultry, although it is still a very good antibiotic for certain conditions in poultry.
Thank you! This sounds like a good one to go with.

Denagard is also available on line at several different resources, and there's also a generic equivalent, which is cheaper.
Thank you! Do you know what the generic is called?

I now have 7 of 14 chickens sneezing. They seem to be getting over whatever it is fairly quickly, so I'm trying not to worry. An antibiotic that resistanance won't develope sounds amazing.

Back
Top Bottom