My rooster wont crow!!

yuckyuck.gif
You know, I thought I was about the only one who found the rooster's crow charming. I was a little disappointed that mine were so quiet. Then yesterday I traded some extra roos for some pullets with a friend and also wound up with this beautiful lavender splash frizzle cochin rooster! I couldn't believe it when she told me I could take him, he is just perfect for what I was fancying :D He is a year and a half old, a full year older than the rest of my birds, and boy does he love to strut his stuff! He is not mean at all, but he loves to crow. He probably doesn't weigh two pounds, but my 6 pound brahma rooster is scared to death of him and gives him a wide berth just after the initial rooster meets rooster flapping and kicking contest. Everyone gets along famously now, and Fancy Pants is the new head of the flock in less than 24 hours! Moral of the story I guess, is that in my experience the older the rooster gets, the more he crows? That may be, but in all honesty I just wanted to do a little bragging on my new best boy
roll.png
Excuse me.

FINALLY, my bantam started crowing this morning and crowed and crowed. Good thing I don't have any neighbors as I was doing the happy dance in my flannel nightgown and barn boots!!
My only wish is that they were closer to the house so I could hear it while working around the house.

in reply to Angelchicks10:

This is what I concluded from my many years of having roosters and chickens. Roosters will crow all the time if there is a lot of other roosters. Not only in the morning but regularly through the day as needed though. I think once they establish who is the boss then they don't crow as often.

Your rooster probably doesn't need to crow because there is no "competition" as it were. No one to establish these are my hens ect...lol

Last edited:
I am so happy my roo "Blake" is crowing, I sat for hours and for several day's on my porch swing and I crowed like a rooster and he started off real raspy and I kept on and now he is a pro and he stands tall and crow's every morning at 5:30, I Love It! So proud of my baby
he is my pride and joy!

in reply to Angelchicks10:

This is what I concluded from my many years of having roosters and chickens. Roosters will crow all the time if there is a lot of other roosters. Not only in the morning but regularly through the day as needed though. I think once they establish who is the boss then they don't crow as often.

Your rooster probably doesn't need to crow because there is no "competition" as it were. No one to establish these are my hens ect...lol
I wish someone would tell that to my RIR! He is the only rooster here and there are no other roosters near by. He is 4 1/2 years old. He begins crowing well before sunrise and crows off and on all - day - long. Especially when he is out with his girls and they are flocked around him as they forage, he just can't seem to contain himself and crows all the more.

I posted the same thing wondering why my guy didnt crow He is now 9 months and he just started to crow Its not real loud but its a crow and Im proud of him So maybe your is to young too

Back
Top Bottom