My rooster

Bandit23

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
I currently have two roosters and about 17 or 18 hens (plus I have 4 baby chicks not sure if they are hens or roosters yet but I do know one is a rooster by the way he acts so I probably will get rid of him I don't want mean roosters) and they are both perfect little angles. They are very nice the one is the other's father. I hatch the one from an egg about 4 years ago (11 hatched that time and it was my first time ever using an incubator). His name is Ingrid. His father is Mist and I'm not sure how old he is I know he's at least 8. So Ingrid was always so nice. He always came running to see me when I went in the pen to feed and water them. He LOVED to be held all the time. He was also so nice to all the hens. But when I went out to check on them he didn't come and I was about to let him and he bit me REALLY hard. I couldn't believe my sweet little angel did that to me so I just left him alone and when I went to let them out of the barn this morning, he pecked one of two of the hens really hard and had lots of feathers in his mouth! And after that as I was leaving, he came running after me! I don't know why he's just all of a sudden becoming mean! I didn't even touch him or anything! Does anyone know why he's doing that? And is there a way so I can have my sweet little angel back? And also is there a way for my one baby chick not to be a mean rooster? He's about the size of my hand yet he somehow thinks that he can beat me in a fight he always jumps in my face and attacks my hand when I reach in the pen to feed them (the baby chicks aren't outside yet so Ingrid wouldn't be acting up like that because of the chick). The chick is about 2 or 3 weeks old and has about 90% of his feathers grown in. (The chicks father is either Mist or Ingrid's son but most likely Ingrid's)

Last edited:
frow.gif
Hi, welcome to BYC!!

How old is the one that bit you?

I think your rooster is ready for the soup pot. I do not believe in giving a bad rooster a second chance. Bad disposition can be passed on to his offspring - maybe this young one that is attacking you already.

A young rooster that is feeling his hormones can be cocky at first and aggressive. But to continue to do so as he ages is a red flag to get rid of him. There are so many good roosters desperate for homes so they don't end up as dinner. There is never a good reason to keep a bad rooster. They can maim people badly, especially children because they are closer to the ground.

BThe one that attacked me is 4 years old. I really don't want to get rid of him I've known him since he was a few seconds old! I watched him hatch! I really can't get rid of him I just love him so much. His father hates being picked up, but he's still nice and let's me hold him sometimes. Now, I could get rid of the baby that attacks me because I haven't known him as long but I did watch him hatch too. I really wish there is a way for him to be nice again please I really love him and the youngest kid in my house is 11 and she never goes out there anyway. And he's never been a mean rooster it was just yesterday and this morning that it started if there's way, PLEASE let me know!!! He's so pretty and was so nice and it's not like I can easily get another like him he's a mix of two different chickens- a barbed rock and Cochin. I do actually plan on getting rid of the baby chick that's mean I just wanted to know if there's a way for him to be nice but I'm not as worried about keeping him I just really want to keep the older one.

Last edited:
Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Based on what I have heard form others here on BYC, it sounds as though roosters that are treated as a "pet" (hand-fed, carried around, love to be petted, etc.) view this treatment by a human as a human showing submission. Hence, the rooster believes they are dominant over the human. I have also noticed this in a couple of my roosters. I had one that I thought was so nice, he used to follow me around like a puppy dog and watch me while I worked. Then one day he attacked me and left a scar in my leg (through my jeans). He's now in freezer camp.

There are some that believe roosters can be reformed and I believe the threads NorthFLChick sent you address some ways to go about this. I have never seen one of mine be reformed, they just get sent to freezer camp in place of a less aggressive rooster, especially since I do not want those aggressive tendencies to be passed along to future generations.

Best of luck deciding which course of action is right for you!

Okay, so everyday I've been holding the one rooster and now he's fine with me, I didn't expect him to actually be close to his old self I do know that most likely I will be getting rid of his son and any other chicks that end up being roosters because I heard that for every one rooster, there should be ten hens and I don't plan on getting ten more chickens even though I do love chickens 30 is just way too many. I've had over 30 at one point and it was just too much but I couldn't get rid of them so I just waited for foxes and old age to do their job

Back
Top Bottom