My roosters limpy leg

Okay I have a question if this does end up being mareks is there a way the vet or maybe even us can treat it I really do not want to have to euthanize my chicken so if there is a way that you know even if it's 1% chance please tell me this is our first rooster that we've kept for this long and we plan to keep them for years to come cuz we are almost absolutely sure now that this is marecks
I would check in with a vet to see if it is Marek's in the first place; however, this may be not be to diagnosed. This wasn't diagnosed by the vet in my case, just a hypothesis on my behalf based on her symptoms. Prior to her euthanasia (couple of days later I believe) the vet did agree it was most likely Marek's, and thus this was the most peaceful course of action. I would run by the vet though, because it could be a lot of things and not Marek's.

If this does indeed turn out to be Marek's - hypothetically speaking - there are unfortunately no effective accepted treatments; and thus prevention is key. Now there are homeopathic treatments that some swear by; however, there is absolutely no guarantee regarding these. I understand where where you are coming from, as Marek is absolutely disheartening so I will share some homeopathic treatment (that aren't scientifically ''accepted'') others have shared. This thread may help you out regarding this (homeopathic treatment): https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/non-emergency-mareks-homeopathic-treatment-video.290501/. Hypericum Perforatum (a flowering plant) is utilized in this case (Hypericum Perforatum 30x) that numbs the pain. There are other homeopathic treatments e.g. Colloidal Silver that are suggested by others. Furthermore you could potentially give some Vitamin B, as neurological issues (if this ends up being a neurological disorder) may be prompted by a deficiency in vitamin B (if you want some research): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6930825/). Vitamin B is crucial regarding the maintenance of normal neurological functions. So if it does end up being Marek's, I guess you could give homeopathic treatments a go (looking at the dosages/dilution prior).

Best wishes. :)

Last edited:
Okay I'm really getting worried that it is Merrick's now because instead of ever putting his foot down which he never does now he hasn't held up to his chest and he is flapping around with the one foot hopping on the ground he eventually does have to put his foot down every once in awhile but he rarely does this and he never stands in place he just pops right down and spreads out his wings do you think this is closer in relation to Merricks or do you think there is still high possibilities of this being something else my family and I are seriously considering that we wait a bit and then have him euthanized because he is in so much pain right now he just can't keep going on like this he'll barely drink anything right now I really need to know if there is still high chances that it's something else or if it's definitely marecks

If he is in pain, putting him down, and sending his body to the state vet for a necropsy would give some answers, since Mareks disease could affect other chickens in your flock. There is a specific test for Mareks, and if the necropsy leads them to suspect Mareks, they can do that test additionally. Here is the link for finding your state vet and contact info:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom