My run was attacked, how to help the 2 remaining biddies?

kaylee gee

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Connecticut
My run was attacked by some animal last night or early this morning. The chickens inside:
2 cochin hens
1 bantam cochin rooster
1 new hampshire red hen
1 cochin pullet, about 3 months old
2 aracauna chicks, male and female, about 2.5 months old
7 chicks of a mixed breed, about 1.5 months old

I found all the adult hens in the run, one with superficial feather issues. 5 chicks were dead, including the cochin and the aracauna cockerel. 2 chicks are missing, including the aracauna pullet. One of the mixed chicks (a cockerel, judging by his comb) was still alive in the run, but he cant stand. He also appears to have internal bleeding, as there is a dark area around his chest. He appears strong in spite of that. He tries to stand every once in a while.
Anything i can do for internal bleeding?

I also found my cochin rooster outside of the run guarding a mixed pullet. He appears to be fine. The chick has a broken wing it seems. Anything i can do for that? She appears fine otherwise.

Please if someone can help i would appreciate it. I am devastated by this attack... we just moved to a different state and i am unfamiliar with the wildlife here. I dont know what killed my biddies, so i dont know how to defend against them.

[EDIT]
On closer inspection it looks like the bleeding on the cockerel is from his shoulder, and i think that wing is broken. I dont know why he cant stand though. I stood him up near the water and just held him up and he drank.

Last edited:
So sorry for you
hugs.gif

The chick with a broken wing:
I'm not an expert but I assume you just need to leave it to time. She may never be able to use it properly but I really don't know.
Are you sure there is not cuts or anything on the cockerals leg? It maybe shock? I've had a similar thing happen to mine I just gave it time but you want to prevent it from happening again.
Higher fences? Maybe bolts on the chicken hut, if you haven't got any already, to really make sure nothing can get it?
Hope you find the chicks!
Daisy

Back
Top Bottom