My Runner Drake is not living up to its task!

mydanet

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2015
Hi All....I have three Runner ducks that are about nine months old, they seem in good health..living on 4 acres with pond and a nice duck house...laying an egg a day each..one egg today was a whopper, 109 grams. So I have more eggs than I know what to do with so I decided to incubate some. Three weeks age I obtained a drake Runner that I introduced to my females...it integrated with the others just fine, no problems. The only problem is I took yesterdays eggs to check for fertility looking for the ringed dot as you would with chicken eggs and its not there. I have not seen any mating going on so I'm wondering is it my drake or do fertile duck eggs look different than chicken eggs any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance John

If I am reading that right you introduced the male about three weeks ago, is that correct? If so, it is not that unusual that you are not yet getting fertile eggs - with a newly integrated group it can take some time before the females accept and submit to the advances of the male (if he makes any) or for him to feel confident enough to make advances.

Give him some time and you will have fertile eggs galore if he is anything like my male runners.

I did introduced the male 3 weeks ago, he is 8 months old. Well I will practice patience as advised but he should know I'm watching him! LOL

I did introduced the male 3 weeks ago, he is 8 months old. Well I will practice patience as advised but he should know I'm watching him! LOL
Well keep it a secret you maybe making him nervous.
lol.png

It may also be the time of the year... where are you located?

My Calls are laying, but the drakes are not mating now... and I know someone else said their Anconas aren't mating now either...

Springtime is the busiest season for my runners. Mine are still mating a little bit but come springtime the males are more active.

Back
Top Bottom