my runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lindylou47, Dec 15, 2013.

1. lindylou47

lindylou47 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Wa.
    Hi folks.
    I am wondering if anyone has had this problem. I have 4 indian runners. What beautiful things they are!
    The last week it has been freezing here. Lowest about 17 degrees. The pond I have for them has been frozen over, and of course for the most part, the ground too. This went on for about a week. It is now warming up, and I have gotten all the ice out of the pond, but they wont go near it. They used to go into the front yard to forage, now they wont even do that.
    I have had a great time watching them, and chasing them if they go too far. They do come up on the deck with the chickens every day, but thats it. Is this natural for them in the winter? Will it change when it gets even warmer? I know they are not sick, all my animals are healthy, thank goodness. I would appreciate your thoughts!!
    Thanks, Linda

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Seems similar to what we see here. When there is a big change in the weather, it throws off the routine, and it takes a few days to adjust. I dumped ice and filled their swim pans two days ago and they showed little interest. Yesterday, with temperatures in the mid to low teens, same thing.

They also showed no interest in walking on the snow.

Today, temperatures rose into the upper 20s, and though we still had snow on the ground, they were walking on it, and when I filled the swim pans, they jumped in.

I think they are conservative - when things change they don't immediately embrace it. Then someone decides it is okay and the rest follow suit.

At least that is how it looks to me.

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    My 3 Runners are being very peculiar right now-- since we got snow. Limping and hopping. They do not care for walking on snow around here.

4. lindylou47

lindylou47 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Wa.
    Thanks for the input. We haven't had any snow yet, but its coming. They still haven't gone back in their pond. My female is getting to look pretty shabby. Too bad, she is such a beauty! Hope they change their mind soon. Guess I will just have to wait. lol
    Thanks again

5. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    I have 3 runners and a bunch of other breeds. Its been in the negatives here. I find that when its real cold like this they stay out of the water but once it warms up a bit they have interest in it. Something I'm doing today is bringing in the ones who really need a good bath, letting them dry off completely and then putting them back outside. They are deff enjoying a nice bath. And it helps clean them up a bit more. Last year my ducks spent most of the winter in the cellar but I have a lot more than 4 ducks now. So I'm trying to do everything I can to keep them happy, healthy, warm, andoutside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by