My search for a male magpie is finally over!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rainstorm, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I LOVE this duck! he is super friendly, BIG, and he keeps all my baby ducks in line [​IMG]

He looks different then from my female magpie, Could he be mixed? or is he even a magpie?

[​IMG]

PS, the water is dirty because I was gone all day and didnt have a chance to change it

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    He's gorgeous! Good find! I have no idea about magpies--yet--so I can't help on breed. I'm getting magpies in the Spring! Woo-hoo! Anyway, he sounds awesome.

I just have one problem. Your ducks have DIRTY WATER!?!?! [​IMG] [​IMG] Bad ducky mommy!! [​IMG] I mean, my duck water is ALWAYS pristine. I'm sure you're the only one on the board with dirty duck water! [​IMG]

(Nevermind--I feel like I always have to explain this to visitors--that I'm not a bad duck mom--I just *changed* their water. And they just got it dirty again. [​IMG])

Good thing we love 'em so much. [​IMG]

3. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Don't you love how they fill their bills up with mud then take a big ol' swig of nasty pool water? [​IMG]

I saw a monster sized duck EXACTLY like that once! The lady said it was a muscovy x pekin cross though... [​IMG]
    I hope yours isn't a muscovy cross too.

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    he looks like a magpie to me... not all magpies have perfect coloring... most hatchery ducks or ducks bred by small breeders aren't exactly show quality...

5. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Two things:

First, he's a big handsome boy! And even the best breeders struggle to get clean markings on Magpies. They're tricky.

Second: You don't ever need to apologize in the duck forum for nasty water in a picture! [​IMG] We know how it is. Mine looks like pond sludge after ten minutes.

6. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:LOL it was dirty because I had just got home with him and had been gone all day, I just didnt change it -before I took the pic [​IMG]

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Rainstorm--I just want to clarify that I was totally kidding about being shocked at the dirty water. [​IMG] My duck water is nearly always dirty. I draw the line at one water change per day, and I don't always even do that, if I'm in a hurry. So needless to say, my duck water is always dirty, except that five minutes in the morning right after I change the water. [​IMG]

8. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:LOL thats so annoying!
    I just put a LOAD of hay/grass shavings all over their pen today and cleaned their water, what do they do? Make lil holes through the hay beside their pool stick there beak down there and get a nice mouthfull of muck and dump it straight into the pool! [​IMG] Nearly makes me feel like putting cement all over the place! LOL

9. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:well your still on a record compared to me! mine lasts about 2 minutes, sometimes less when my Juvie cayugas realize what im doing and jump right in before the water is even 3 inches high [​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I spent Sunday totally cleaning the 500 gallon pond. I drained it, sucked the muck out of the bottom, hubby scrubbed the sides...refilled it...etc. It looked great for about 10 minutes.

Somehow Shelley managed to flip one of the flat rocks on the edge of the pond in to the water exposing the dirt. I caught her taking bills full of mud and dumping it in the pond. 3 days later the water is STILL brown!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by