My Sebastopol hatching experience- Day 9

Feathers Acres

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Michigan
I really enjoyed Austin's thread and thought I would make one of my own, I know theres one other member out there that has the same due date as me, so she can join in when ever she'd like. I started out with 4 eggs, 1 was rotten so it got tossed (Smelled horrible and pretty much exploded with one tap in my sink
sickbyc.gif
)

I set these eggs 3/2 at 7 AM

Day 1-4: Temperature 99.5-100 Humidity 65% Turned 3 times a day
Day 5: Temperature 99.5-100 Humidty 65%, Misted and Cooled the eggs for 15 minutes, Turned 3 times
Day 6: Temperature 99.5-100 Humidity 65% Misted and Cooled the eggs for 15 minutes, Turned 3 times
Day 7: Temperature 99.5-100 Humidity 65% Misted and Cooled the eggs for 15 minutes, Turned 2 times (forgot, shame on me) I candled as well and 2 look to be growing. One looks like a goosie was sitting on it forawhile bu then they quit.
Day 8: Temperature 99.5-100 Humidity 65% Misted and Cooled the eggs for 15 minutes, Turned 3 times

Last edited:
Mine are under broodies. Set 12 last Sunday(Sebs & Giant Africans). Candled today 9 growing, 1 maybe, and two nothing. All Sebs are growing.
smile.png

I wanted to add that I am letting nature take it's course and trusting the hens. The only thing I am doing is removing the hens once a day and turning the eggs. I will candle and check air sacks and maybe mist if I think it is necessary.

Last edited:
i had the same hing happen to me with a rotton pheasant egg, one tap in the sink and BOOM! it popped and exploded.... thanks for continuing your hatch in a new thread since my hatch is almost done

Quote:
here i am!
frow.gif
i have 3 eggs also, mine are test eggs from another member.
i set them on Monday night 3/2.
i cooled and misted tonight for the first time...

Quote:
here i am!
frow.gif
i have 3 eggs also, mine are test eggs from another member.
i set them on Monday night 3/2.
i cooled and misted tonight for the first time...

Me too, I take mine out of the incubator and set them flat on a bakers dozen eggs carton, and close the bator so I dont lose humidty and mist them with warm water and let them rest for 15 minutes and then put them back in and doesnt seem to do any damage to my humidity. So I have had any trouble with my temperature or humidity so far which is a big surprise for me sence I always seem to have a problem with that stuff. Its even going great for my own silkie eggs im hatching! I have a auto turner and havent had to open the bator once! Im off to go to turn the goosie eggs.

UGH! my humidity was just down to 40 something! i am SO bad at this hatching stuff!
he.gif
i will be so thankful if i get 1 baby out of this...SO thankful...
fl.gif

Quote:
What kind of hygrometer are you using?, I have the $6.50 springfeild combo and its great, passes up my Acurite combo by a mile, and is less exspensive as well. My acurite and sprinfield are off by about 5-7% of eachother.

I am hatching this weekend. I have four eggs from Zeena and Zander in the incubator. They look great, but I have to say Zena did the best hatch out herself as a first yearer in the barn last year. The only reason I sold her eggs is that she started laying in January, and there eggs would freeze. I'm hoping she will lay a few more to incubate herself. Talk about a super mother and father! They were the best!

Last edited:
I have a Springfield combo and I have a hard time getting over 50% in our house at this time of year. I'm pulling out all the stops and I'm putting a crockpot full of water in that room this weekend or a humidifier.

what if you put multiple sponges in little lids filled with water...would that help...thats what I did in one of my incubators. Without the water filled lids, the sponges dry out faster.

Back
Top Bottom