My Self Blue & Splash OEGB from Cackle Hatchery

Neco

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2017
Canterbury, Connecticut
My babies finally made it home safe!

They hatched and shipped from Cackle Hatchery on March 24th and arrived home a 6:30am this morning, March 26th.

I had ordered 15, 10 Self Blue & 5 Splash. Cackle sent 4 extra, unfortunately one little guy didn't make the trip and another passed from stress, but the other 17 are doing great! I ended up with 12 Self Blue and 5 Splash. Note: The purple marks on the Splash chicks are from Cackle marking them so I could tell the two colors apart better.

Thank you Cackle!

I will be updating this thread as they grow so others can see the quality of Cackle's Old English Game Bantams (OEGB).

IMG_2150.jpeg IMG_2158.jpeg IMG_2148.jpeg IMG_2151.jpeg

Last edited:
I've update my first post as sadly I lost one more to stress/failure to thrive. He/she just wouldn't eat no matter what I tried, despite originally appearing well. Everyone else is still doing great, have full crops, and already put on a tiny bit of weight! I'll have more pictures soon!

Beautiful chicks, thank you for sharing pictures! (Sorry about the losses.)

March 27th pictures, chicks are 4 days old, wing and tail feathers are coming in.

17 Sleepy Chicks...look at the leggy! (taken right before I cleaned their tank)
I'm totally guilty of tapping on the glass to make sure they're all still alive cause when they're all stretched out they look dead ha ha.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_694.jpg
Taken right after I cleaned the tank
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_699.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_698.jpg
Wink!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_69a.jpg

So I gave up on the time lapse idea lol. It's too hard to get the lighting right, work the camera and try to wrangle the chicks ha ha. Anyways the chicks are 4 weeks old today so enjoy some pictures leading up to today.

04/05/21
The red is marker I used to tell them apart. The chick on the far right is sporting a poop hair do.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ba.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6b7.jpg

04/08/21
The biggest and smallest chicks nicknamed Blue & Tiny (may not be their final names)....I think Blue may be a Rooster.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d9.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6cc.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6e4.jpg

They enjoyed a quick trip outside for the first time
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ca.jpg

My method of carrying them all...a 5 gallon bucket:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6bf.jpg

04/09/21
The chicks all got zip tie bands today (no more ugly marker) and enjoyed another short outing.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6eb.jpg

04/21/21 (Today) - 4 Weeks Old!
Blue is the biggest at 5.01 oz ...still up in the air on if it's a Rooster.
blue.jpg

This one is defiantly a little Rooster, doesn't have a name yet but is full of attitude.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_715.jpg

This one also doesn't have a name yet either but is really starting to get its splash colors....look at that spotted butt.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_71a.jpg

Upgraded to a cat carrier for moving them all, they loved it and fell to sleep in a cuddle puddle
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_71c.jpg

Stay tuned for more :)

It's been awhile so here's a bunch of pictures!

May 22
Tiny
05.22.21Tiny.jpg

We'll call this guy Splash cockerel #2 until I actually name him. Man I'm slacking:
05.22.21.jpg

My favorite pullet, also unnamed. Her eye looks funny cause she blinked with her second eyelid right as I took the picture:
FavPullet05.22.21.jpg

I was calling this one Freckle, but of course she grew out of the ones on her face:
188656736_501209497979172_1743616810632752702_n (1).jpg

June 2, 10 Weeks!
Tiny again, he is turning out beautifully <3 He's a Splash
06.02.21_Tiny_10weeks_sm.jpg

Blue, working on growing out his tail feathers. He is a Self Blue. His Comb has patches of mulberry color which I am hoping turn brighter red as he ages up:
blue.jpg

Two Self Blue pullets (not yet named) play fighting, the one on the right is my favorite pullet of the whole group:
henspat.jpg

My favorite Self Blue pullet again:
hen.jpg

Exploring the tall grass, all Splashes except for the Self Blue hen bottom left. I'm thinking they have too much yellow in their beaks compared to what the standard calls out...hoping they darken up a bit more as they age. The tall guy in the middle is my Splash cockerel #2, Tiny is the one on the left.
longgrass.jpg

They're all super friendly and go limp in your hands, but I've noticed all the Self Blue cockerels will give you a few good pecks first, while the Splash cockerels have never pecked at me. Splash cockerel #2:
194430691_286799329811162_1925588104327019644_n.jpg

Splash cockerel #2:
splashcolor.jpg

I have some video's too if I can figure out how to post them :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom