My Self Sufficient New Year's Resolution

We have also tried to move more towards self sufficiency this past year. We put in a 100 Sq Ft garden last year and plan to double it this year. I froze or canned what ever was not eated right off the vine. We also planted a few apple trees 2 years ago and look forward to a good harvest this season. We will be planting pears and more apples this spring or fall. We also have berry plants that I hope will start producing quantities this year that I can use for making jams. If I couldn't grow it, I bought at the local farm markets or picked at the local orchard. I canned and froze what ever I could. I also have made use of the dehydrator often this year. Our chest freezer is full of a year's supply of venison from this year's hunting season, which was butchered by us and our group of friends. None of us want to pay for the price of beef any more. Also, we know the meat is hormone and antibiotic free. We also have home raised pig from a friend in the group who raises them for all of us on their land.

Of course we have chickens, but only for eggs. Can't seem to be able to eat something I regard a pet yet. (It's the city girl in me)

I line dry my clothes whenever possible. Now during the winter, I rack the clothes by the wood stove. We also have the twirly lights and unplug chargers and appliances when not in use.
We are fortunate enough to have a house that is just big enough for us and can be heated by the wood stove. We only use oil for hot water. We harvest the wood ourselves from people who want trees down for free or by picking up tree tops from our friend who only uses the bottoms for wood to plane.

I'd like to know what people who have no idea about how to use their land, or have none, will do if the economy does tank.

Going to check out the SS site for more ideas. I like the ideas of making soap and things to save money.

Quote:
Hi! You may need to check about selling raw milk in your state. It's legal here if someone buys it right from the farm, but I cannot transport it for sale... go figure?
Hugs and good luck on your efforts. There is NOTHINg like milk straight from the cow.
Christina

HOA = Home Owner's Association. If you don't know what one is, you most likely don't have one
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh, nope, we don't have one, thank goodness. We do have some covenants, but nothing really restrictive. Nothing I'd hate more than having someone tell me I can't do something with my own property!

hehehe
smile.png
...yes, the sister site is defiantly on the list to check out.

DH got busy thinking on the boy pens and I got sidetracked...fresh chicken tonight!
We are fixin' to get our first incubator and we need places to put the boys of the batches
wink.png

So, one had to go!

holler at you guys soon!!

Kim

the SS site is very useful!! THanks for all you who are trying really hard to promote it. I agree with a lot of the philosophies held by the people on this site as well as the SS site. I would like to see a store go up in my little town that would sell local produce and hold classes that would teach people how to become more self sufficient. Since the economy is tanking I would think this business would thrive. Plus I love to teach and would love to hold seminars. Like Ricki Carrol does in her kitchen with cheese. So anyway us smart people are ahead of our times and will survive. I am excited to become more self sufficient and to me canning, baking, gardening, making is not work it is my hobby....and passion!

Quote:
Hi! You may need to check about selling raw milk in your state. It's legal here if someone buys it right from the farm, but I cannot transport it for sale... go figure?
Hugs and good luck on your efforts. There is NOTHINg like milk straight from the cow.
Christina

Thanks for pointing that out, though I should have been clearer. I was talking about the veggies and other craft like things we made. I would only be able to sell from the farm here.
hmm.png

Some laws are just no good
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom