My Self Sufficient New Year's Resolution

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
My New Year's resolution is to become more self sufficient by growing/raising more of my own food. Is anyone else trying this?

HEY THERE YES ACTUALLY MY HUBBY AND I HAVE BEEN TALKIN ABOUT A GARDEN THIS SPRING. MAYBE EVEN A BEEF COW OR 2. WE ALREADY HAVE CHICKENS AND DUCKS FOR EGGS AND MEAT.THIS YEAR I ACTUALLY FOR THE FIRST TIME CANNED PORK AND IT WAS VERY GOOD (I WAS SURPRISED) THINGS ARE SO HIGH NOW THAT WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO MAKE ENDS AT LEAST COME CLOSE.
GOOD LUCK

Quote:
Your next resolution should be to visit our sister site, SufficientSelf.com! If you haven't already....
wink.png
You will find a lot of folks just like you!
smile.png

Quote:
This is a huge goal of mine. We moved to the farm last summer, and I ended up working full-time for the school year.

BUT this year I am not working off the farm, so I am planning like crazy!! We have chickens that are dual-purpose, collect eggs daily and butcher every few months. Hubby has plans for about 5 acres of garden for our family and farmer's market...

I will be getting goats, and hopefully 2 milk cows and probably 2/3 cow/calf pairs. Not sure about hogs yet, even though the hubby really loves pork...

We have 160 acres, most of the farmground is rented to a neighboring farmer, and some of the pasture will be too.

Good luck!

I have been planning this for the last few months! my seeds for Spring arrived last week. This is our first time with chickens and gardening it will be fun to see how we all do over the next year!

Also I am growing Stevia to replace refined sugar in our diet. (This is a HUGE step for me I am a sugar junkie)

We should all keep in contact and try to learn from each others mistakes and successes.
Good luck to all in 2009!

I have visited Sufficientself.com, I like it, but definitely like this site more because there are more people.
smile.png

Nikki28, Where did you get your seeds?

From Park seeds organic line I also ordered some heirloom varieties that were not organic from them.
I ordered from them because my family has used Park for seeds for 3 generations. Of course after I placed my order I found other sites that offered strictly organic seed.
I'm happy with my decision though this coming year will be about learning.

Who do you get your seeds from?

We have already gotten started in a haphazard fashion, since we both like gardening. But neither of us is able to kill a chicken, so I reckon it'll be eggs and veggies a lot!

if entergy (elec company) get's approved for their 9% increase we'll be getting a solar cell, they got a 3% this year, my bill increased 300%,
dh vowed to put up a real clothes line, instead of hanging them for a rope on the porch (which i prefer)

Back
Top Bottom