My Self Sufficient New Year's Resolution

We baught a house this summer so now i can have my garden (herbs & veggies..some fruit) in my backyard. I also have 3 hens for eggs. I have already started to buy more local and am planning on canning a lot this summer/fall. I hope to take full advantage of pick yourself farms and farmers markets. I love where we live I can find local;beef, pork, chicken, bison, emu, ostrich, honey,bee by products,mushrooms,veggies,fruit,eggs,and dairy products. I hope to get some fresh milk from a friends farm and make cheese and butter as well as ice cream. I already have stopped buying bread and am making all our own. I made hamburger buns tonight..Yummy & easy.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU LOCAVORES!!!!!!
Read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbar Kingsolver...good inspiration!

We are also getting into growing our own food. We have chickens that are just starting to lay - we butchered 22 a couple months ago. We are planning on having our first garden this spring and we are going to get a cow to raise for butchering - soon as I can get a fence up
fl.gif

I have this goal, too. More gardens, and this spring, heritage turkeys...some for meat, some to keep for breeding next year's meat. And a dairy goat, hopefully me recent rescue will become my dairy goat.

I just started grinding wheat (no such thing as local wheat in MA) and corn with my Vitamix....if you haven't tried it, it is amazing! White flour tastes so bland to me already, and whole wheat from the store, even Whole Foods, is just nasty. There is a pie in the oven now (use an egg to make it roll out better) and pizza dough in the fridge for tomorrow....by this time next year, I hope to be able to top it with our own cheese! Freshly ground flour doesn't even remotely resemble what I have eaten my entire life. It must be experienced.

I am trying to re-use and re-cycle more, even things I can afford to go out and buy. Always looking for new ideas and inspiration!

I actually used my hens to till my gardens last spring and summer with a tiny hoop-house I made that holds two hens for about 4 hours, and I move it 3-4 times during that time period. They do an amazing job, and eat the bugs at the same time.

I bought a custom-made scythe from Scythe Supply Company and mowed my two-acre pasture, even made a little goldenrod hay for the goats (meant for bedding, they said YUM!) I will see how much I can put up next summer.

It is SOOO satisfying! Tell us what you are doing!
clap.gif

Quote:
Where do you live?
th.gif

We can get local beef, eggs and honey here ....supposedly they have a farmers market in the summer but I should have my own veggies by then anyway.

I LOVE Barbara Kingsolver

My husband and I have been talking the past couple of weeks of becoming more self sufficent. I'm really excited that he's as into it as I am. Our goal is to eventually live in the middle of nowhere and really live off the land, for now it's our couple of acres and some practice!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I hope to get started this summer. I am retiring from the Air Force after 20 years and we have purchased a small farm in Wisconsin. We plan to run a 2500 hen organic layer operation. I also want to raise some beef cattle and hogs. A large garden is in the planning. Still contemplating a milk cow...

I am too... started last spring! Now i have lots of "food" running around! My mom said at least now when a hurricane come thru and takes out our power for who knows how long, at least i can cook something.... even if it is roasted on an open fire!

Back
Top Bottom