My Self Sufficient New Year's Resolution

My garden is still going with winter stuff.

Mine too MrsSmitho. My DD and DN started getting the rest of it ready for spring planting today. Still have several days of mulching left, but I want to be ready this year. Usually it sneaks up on me before I have it ready.
smile.png

Hey there Texas! You aren't very far away from me
smile.png
Longview area.

I love the winter garden! it is green and growing...but very slow! I have snap peas, kohlrabi, brussel sprouts, turnips, carrots, radish, cilantro, broccoli, cauliflower...uummm...

hu.gif

In the spring/summer, I do raised beds & flat or "moted" in the Fall. I used an entire round bail of hay to mulch the whole thing last year (first year in that spot), and had the BOMB garden! I left all of the pepper plants to see if they'd go 2 yr...well see!
smile.png

I keep thinking I need to get out and get started, but I am in the process of transplanting a LOT of asparagus from the chicken run to a new bed I made for that and the strawberries. (the "new" chicken adventure takes place in the "old" garden
smile.png

Ha-ha-hardhar...last year I started in Jan...I have to wait...

wait for it...

I always remember Jan being the worst...and last year I had to replant several things over
rant.gif

Luckily!! I have the girls to keep me busy
big_smile.png

Have fun!

Kim

Oh, I am so jealous of people who can garden year-round! The ground is solidly frozen here and covered with several inches of snow. The seed companies know that we suckers will over-order this time of year, and are busy sending very tempting and limited-time offers! I fall asleep with my catalogs and a notepad, drawing and re-drawing diagrams, seeing what I can fit in, forgetting all the work when it all comes in at once.

Well, we do have lovely fall foliage and maple syrup season....

Quote:
A drip system would be ideal, except that it is cost prohibitive. What is HOA?

you can get an inexpensive drip system from places like Johnny's select seed company that is where I got mine and it has worked nicely

lol.png
Yeah, it is awesome!! When I lived in Oregon for 8 yrs, I had to completely figure out how to NOT have 4 seasons!! Could not grow okra to save my life!!

I did all the planning, diagramming, spreadsheets, etc...but by the time I rotate planted...several times...I lost it.

I found a hook up on aged horse manure and me and the boy averaged 3 to 4 truckloads per week! Yes, it was all by hand, loading and unloading!!

I tell you what, THAT stuff is gold!! Everything got mulched on top of the hay and grew, and grew, and still growing!!

We were able to can over 200 qts this past summer and kept all that wanted n whatever was in season! I also sell to a local restraunt all the fresh herbs and peppers. I have a lot of them
big_smile.png

Of course...we do not have a "Fall" so to speak of...it is more like a slow transition from green to brown. And no syrup except sugar cane...

Maybe this next week will be ugly outside and I will post some pics of the garden and birds...still have to figure it all out
smile.png

Have a wonderful night!!!

Kim

Quote:
Sounds like we have some of the same things in our gardens... broccoli (cut and sent some down the road to a neighbor as a thank you today), turnips, cauliflower, mustard and collard greens, peas, lettuce, spinach, beets and onion. They are all still going strong. My cilantro, oregano and chamomile all made it through the last few freezes.
smile.png

My garden is flat rows, but would like to start a few raised beds. I have had them before and loved them. We are extending the garden from a 30x50 now to possibly 30x150. Needless to say I will be canning and freezing all summer.
th.gif

We hope to plant some fruit trees this spring...we planted a few figs and we have dewberries and raspberries growing for jelly and jams and just to eat and enjoy. We actually get our trees from Bob Wells Nursery which isn't to far from your area.

Quote:
ME TOO very jealous...we are frozen solid
freemotion do you have any maple trees on your property?.. you could make your own syrup this spring...

Yes, I do, and I have been eyeing them often....but to set up would be too costly, as I don't have that many mature maples. Most are under a foot in diameter, and I understand that smaller trees are damaged by tapping. I just found out that the neighbor farmer's father is getting restless in retirement, maybe I could let him tap mine and get a little syrup in return. Or tap them myself and haul the sap over to him, as my trees probably wouldn't be convenient for him and he has plenty on his own land. Gotta go feel him out about it. Wish I could think of something to trade!!! Maybe if my turkey project, this spring, is successful, we will see....

When I was a kid, my brother and I took an old metal pen tube and tapped our big maple in the front yard. We never said anything to our parents until we came in the house with big buckets of sap and asked mom if we could borrow her soup pot. She thought we were crazy, but let us do our "project". It took quite some to boil it down, but we ended up with one tiny quart of the tastiest maple syrup I ever had
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom