my serama was paralyzed

Ricky86

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2018
Hi,I'm from Malaysia,I have serama bantam and last week his spurs was stuck on a wire mesh,he's now was injured and paralyzed, I took my serama to vet and the veterinary
doctor gave him lotion and antibiotic,my serama struggle to stand but repeatedly fall,he could have a soft tissue (ligament or tendon) injury or nerve damage, doctor says no sign of broken legs,now my serama only lay down and sleep, can you give me any advise ?

sometimes he loss appetite to eat, we only give syringe to drink water

his left leg was shaking and bend like that,and I can feel his pain

my serama have live with me for ten years since 2008,he is just like a family

Attachments

• IMG20180322074929.jpg
    IMG20180322074929.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG20180322074622.jpg
    IMG20180322074622.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 28
Welcome to BYC!

If you get his weight off of the leg, it can help it heal. Have you ever seen a chicken sling?
upload_2018-3-21_23-53-27.jpeg

Also, if you inject a saline solution under his skin (the video uses ringer's lactate, and you can also use electrolytes), it will hydrate him without the possibility of accidentally drowning him. Here's another video with just a syringe. You might talk to your vet about it--it's pretty easy to do. If you do go that route, I'd use maybe 6-8 mL of saline, considering weight of a Serama. To make a saline solution, use 1 tsp salt and 2 cups water, and use the smallest gauge you can find. Don't inject cold liquid.

I don't know much about Malaysia, but I assume that your stores sell the same painkillers that the ones in the United states do? Chickens can have aspirin. Not huge amounts,but enough to kill pain. For a normal-sized chicken, the dose is about 1/4 of a 325 mg tablet, once a day. For a bantam, it's about 1/3 of that dose. Simply crush one tablet, mix it with half a cup of water, and give him a half a tablespoon of it. (that's about 8 grams.)

Will he drink water on his own? An electrolyte solution can help him digest and retain fluid while giving him some energy. It's:
1 qt water (~1 kg)
1 tbsp corn syrup, honey, or sugar (15 g)
0.5 tsp baking soda (1 g)
1 pinch salt.

You can also provide b vitamins, which are very helpful with nerves/skeletal issues. Simply grind up a b-complex tablet and add it to his water. Since it's water-soluble, the excess will just be passed the next time he poops--it's really hard to overdose.

How does his poop look? Different colors/thicknesses of poop can help tell us if there's anything additionally wrong with him, resulting from not eating. (dehydration, not digesting properly)

Is learning to tubefeed a viable option for you, if he doesn't start eating soon? Casportpony might be someone to talk to about that.

Hope your boy feels better soon!

Last edited:
Hello welcome in BYC ..so sad to see ur boy in pain ..
Well loss of appetite is normal when injured n in pain ..u need to bandage him to avoid further infection via dust .
A skin cream with antibiotic neomycin called Soframycin Topical works great on wound ..daily wash off with warm water and Epsom salt then vetwarp it give him.boiled egg to heal his wounds faster and vitamins regularly .

His sleeping cause his weak vitamins will help him het his energy back
x2--I forgot to mention vitamins!

You can buy poultry vitamins from feed stores. (or possibly from the internet.) They're measured out in proper doses, and you just add them to the water as instructed.

A popular one in the states is poly-vi-sol. Don't know if you can get that.

And don't let water with additives (electrolyte or vitamins) sit out--change it at least once every twelve hours so that bacteria can't grow on it!

Hi,I'm from Malaysia,I have serama bantam and last week his spurs was stuck on a wire mesh,he's now was injured and paralyzed, I took my serama to vet and the veterinary
doctor gave him lotion and antibiotic,my serama struggle to stand but repeatedly fall,he could have a soft tissue (ligament or tendon) injury or nerve damage, doctor says no sign of broken legs,now my serama only lay down and sleep, can you give me any advise ?

sometimes he loss appetite to eat, we only give syringe to drink water

his left leg was shaking and bend like that,and I can feel his pain

my serama have live with me for ten years since 2008,he is just like a family

Maybe cause of wire his nerve is damaged or swallon ..
It takes time to heal a broken damaged or nerve maybe he'll not able to walk properly again but we keep the hope there are herbal routes

Warm oilve oil or mustard oil massage (after his wound heals completely ) 2 times in a day will help his nerve to circulate blood circulation . u can add 1 pinch turmeric powder it will become antiinflammatory antiseptic and antibacterial herbal lotion will help him fast ..till them feed him as much as possible protine rich food If he eat from his own that's best otherwise handfeed but do not go off feed

Welcome to BYC!

If you get his weight off of the leg, it can help it heal. Have you ever seen a chicken sling?View attachment 1306151

Also, if you inject a saline solution under his skin (the video uses ringer's lactate, and you can also use electrolytes), it will hydrate him without the possibility of accidentally drowning him. Here's another video with just a syringe. You might talk to your vet about it--it's pretty easy to do. If you do go that route, I'd use maybe 6-8 mL of saline, considering weight of a Serama. To make a saline solution, use 1 tsp salt and 2 cups water, and use the smallest gauge you can find. Don't inject cold liquid.

I don't know much about Malaysia, but I assume that your stores sell the same painkillers that the ones in the United states do? Chickens can have aspirin. Not huge amounts,but enough to kill pain. For a normal-sized chicken, the dose is about 1/4 of a 325 mg tablet, once a day. For a bantam, it's about 1/3 of that dose. Simply crush one tablet, mix it with half a cup of water, and give him a half a tablespoon of it. (that's about 8 grams.)

Will he drink water on his own? An electrolyte solution can help him digest and retain fluid while giving him some energy. It's:
1 qt water (~1 kg)
1 tbsp corn syrup, honey, or sugar (15 g)
0.5 tsp baking soda (1 g)
1 pinch salt.

You can also provide b vitamins, which are very helpful with nerves/skeletal issues. Simply grind up a b-complex tablet and add it to his water. Since it's water-soluble, the excess will just be passed the next time he poops--it's really hard to overdose.

How does his poop look? Different colors/thicknesses of poop can help tell us if there's anything additionally wrong with him, resulting from not eating. (dehydration, not digesting properly)

Is learning to tubefeed a viable option for you, if he doesn't start eating soon? Casportpony might be someone to talk to about that.

Hope your boy feels better soon!

The Chicken Sling really works, I have observed my Serama for weeks and he can walk again,now he can run and jump,I'm really happy and my serama was happy too.

Maybe cause of wire his nerve is damaged or swallon ..
It takes time to heal a broken damaged or nerve maybe he'll not able to walk properly again but we keep the hope there are herbal routes

Warm oilve oil or mustard oil massage (after his wound heals completely ) 2 times in a day will help his nerve to circulate blood circulation . u can add 1 pinch turmeric powder it will become antiinflammatory antiseptic and antibacterial herbal lotion will help him fast ..till them feed him as much as possible protine rich food If he eat from his own that's best otherwise handfeed but do not go off feed

For this temporary moment, I gave him some carrot juice that I bought from local grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom