My Setting Buff Has A Very Bad Odor

chukster

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Bailey,Mississippi
One of my bufffs has been setting since 10-01-12 and as of this afternoon still no chicks.

What is disturbing is the terrible smell that I can actually smell outside coop.

Could she be setting on rotten eggs?

Thanks in advance on any advice.

I have a feeling that is the case. She should have hatched a week ago. I have given them a couple of days just in case, but not a week. You need to get her off the nest, I think.

Maybe you can find a some new hatched chicks and in the dark pull her eggs and replace with babies. Since it stinks you may just want to move her to a different nest and then put the babies under her. How sad for all involved :( So sorry!

Thanks to all for your input. This forum truly is a wealth of knowledge.

After work I did take my favorite Buff off her nest and what a smell!!

I read somewhere on this forum about EGGTOPSIES or something like that and to puncture the large end (air pocket) but be careful about it exploding....well..I'm glad I read that thread because I did just that with the first egg and sure enough, POP!!!....and jeeez..what a smell.

I did the same thing with each egg and all had the same result.

Does anyone have any idea why 9 eggs would all be rotten?

I have a roo that I call "Chance" because anytime he has a chance...well you know the rest of that...so out of 9 what are the chances they are all not fertilized?

Anyway, this is the second time I have had a buff set or sit...with no viable chicks...so disappointing.

Again thanks for the thoughtful input....

Have you ever had any chicks hatch from a pairing with Chance the roo?
How many hens is he over?
Have you tried the crack test with any of these eggs IE: have you cracked open any freshly laid ones and seen the blastoderm (the embryonic development ring)?
Were there any of the eggs that had obvious development upon eggtopsy exam?
How broody is your hen and how frequently does she get off the eggs each day (I only ask this because I just recently learned that a hen CAN be "broody" and still not sit on her eggs properly IE: gets up more than she's supposed to).

So sorry all the eggs were rotten.
sad.png

Last edited:
"Have you ever had any chicks hatch from a pairing with Chance the roo?"... Yes, last year she hatched 3 but only 1 survived but it came up missing.

"How many hens is he over?"....He has 9 ladies..

"Have you tried the crack test with any of these eggs IE: have you cracked open any freshly laid ones and seen the blastoderm (the embryonic development ring)?".....no....I am sorry but as we are new to this I am not sure about that but it sounds like I need to understand that and how to do it...but we do eat bunches of them but not lately as they have quit laying.

"Were there any of the eggs that had obvious development upon eggtopsy exam?"........no , not one.

"How broody is your hen and how frequently does she get off the eggs each day (I only ask this because I just recently learned that a hen CAN be "broody" and still not sit on her eggs properly IE: gets up more than she's supposed to)." ....... This a little hard to answer because of my limited time to view her but I would say that since 10-01 when I put in my iphone that she was sitting, every time I or my wife observed her she was sitting on the nest and one day she would be sitting to the rear of the nest, the next day she would be in a different position. We had scratch within head reach and water the whole time. I did observe her one day, and it was kind of a warmer day and she did get off of the nest and preen outside of the coop but went back inside. So, I do think she was on the nest as best I can say.

thanks so much for your reply.

[Edited to add this]: Every time I question something (chicken related or otherwise) I feel it's necessary to start at the very beginning and work forward. So - since chicks don't exist without first being a fertilized egg - I think the first step should be to see whether or not these eggs you're trying to hatch are fertile. An infertile egg will never hatch. :(

I AM new to chickens, but it seems (to me) that Chance might have a bit of a hiccup in his giddy-up. He may have blockage in his vas deferens that is preventing the little swimmers from getting through or he may have a 'production' issue or just bad swimmers - or none of the above (it may not be him).
hmm.png
Do you have any other roosters in your flock (other than Chance)?

If it were me (which it isn't) but if it were...I would gather for a full week and use the eggs for one big meal (or meals and freeze), because I think you should check for fertility. Lots of egg salad sandwiches? :)

Here's a couple of pictures for you to refer to, clicking on them will enlarge them.

This is just a chart - but shows in more detail what you should be seeing. Although - on the yolk itself the blastoderm might not be as clearly defined as it is in this depiction:

The blastoderm (the ring) is what forms when the egg is fertile, and it is basically the beginnings of the chick embryo beginning to form and what you're seeing is cell division. Whenever I order eggs from an unknown source IE: e-bay or another online auction site I crack 1 of them open to check for this blastoderm. If I don't see one I still attempt to incubate the eggs - but thus far the hatch rate on eggs where the one I cracked open didn't have a blastoderm has been from 0 to 5% success on the entire "clutch". The only time I don't crack open is when I know the person from the forum here, or if they are someone recommended to me by a trusted source.

Granted, you're making these eggs impossible to hatch open by cracking them (obviously) but it can be a good indicator of rooster troubles if all of the eggs you crack open don't have a blastoderm; especially if you've noted that Chance has taken every 'chance' he can to perform hanky-panky with your henny-pennies.

It sounds like your broody is sitting for the majority of the time so I don't think that's your problem.

What diet is your flock on? IE: feed, free range? treats?

Have you noticed that Chance has "preferences" within your flock? IE: certain hens he prefers over others? If so I would start there.

Last edited:
@cluckycharms...

thanks so much for your education!!

Now that you have pointed this out, I have seen the blastoderm numerous times while preparing to cook them and so now I know what I have been seeing so I do know that fertility is taking place.

"Chance" is the only roo and as far as the diet I usually mix about half and half scratch and layer pellets, although once in a while I will hang up a head of cabbage to watch them devour it in short order...but only maybe once every 2 months ....not very much...I guess that would be the only "treat" they get.

Curiously I have noticed that the only times I have had a hen sitting has been one of 2 Buffs. I have 7 Rhode Islands and none have ever tried to sit on the nest.

As far as "favorites'"...I guess the best way to answer that ...is why I call him "chance"...I have never noticed any particular favorites..just whenever he has a chance...

Lastly, my entire flock (9 hen -1 roo) are in a run that is 24' x 14' with a 4'x8' coop. They have 2 feeders and 2- 5 gallon water stations so I don't feel that they are to crowded etc.

So, I guess the mystery will go on until the next time one of them decides to sit and I will try again.....

Thanks again

It does sound like rotten eggs, however, if you want her to stop sitting go and get a few chicks and place them under her. She will think they hatched from her clutch, just watch her with them to see if she takes them in. Then make her get up with the and take the eggs. I have done it before and it actually works.

Back
Top Bottom