my sexing article...

~ sex linking sexing
when a chick is sex linked this means that you should be able to tell the gender once the chick has hatched and dried off by the coloration and/or markings on the chick. with red sex links the cockerels will be lighter than the pullets. also with cockerels they may have the same markings as a pullet but they will still be lighter in coloration. you also have black sex links. these chicks are told apart by the white dot (or there lack of) on the heads. a white dot on the head of a black sex link means that that chick will be a cockerel, pullets should not have this white dot. sometimes this dots just a slight white marking on the head as well, pullets should have a solid black head. these are also a one time breeding meaning that you can not breed two sex links (red sex link to a red sex link) together to get more sex links.

i haven't given much thought to sex linked sexing due to the fact that they should be able to be sexed at hatch so how does this above sound? also if anyone else has any pics of their sex links from the top please post them and indicate which one(s) are pullets or cockerels (that is to ensure that a do properly label the chicks) thank you.

Last edited:
~ sex linking sexing
when a chick is sex linked this means that you should be able to tell the gender once the chick has hatched and dried off by the coloration and/or markings on the chick. with red sex links the cockerels will be lighter than the pullets. also with cockerels they may have the same markings as a pullet but they will still be lighter in coloration. you also have black sex links. these chicks are told apart by the white dot (or there lack of) on the heads. a white dot on the head of a black sex link means that that chick will be a cockerel, pullets should not have this white dot. sometimes this dots just a slight white marking on the head as well, pullets should have a solid black head. these are also a one time breeding meaning that you can not breed two sex links (red sex link to a red sex link) together to get more sex links.

i haven't given much thought to sex linked sexing due to the fact that they should be able to be sexed at hatch so how does this above sound? also if anyone else has any pics of their sex links from the top please post them and indicate which one(s) are pullets or cockerels (that is to ensure that a do properly label the chicks) thank you.

Sounds good! Yeah I thought it should have been a super easy bet too when I got them, but little Goldbert fooled even the hatchery because of those marks. Little bugger :p.

You know how time and time again people swear that BRs are sexable at a day old by down colour, head dot size and dark legs? Not always..
This one above is a boy. Sure of it - even at 2 weeks old the comb is noticeable, and the barring is too clear to be pullet.
Here are some of my RSL chicks. All girls, but someone else can share a boy picture :)

Last edited:
You probably don't need any more pictures.. but I have some anyway.

Streamers

I think you should add different crest types for polish and houdans...

Young rooster crest - 8-10 weeks

Pullet crest 8-10 weeks

Back
Top Bottom