My short introduction

Crazychickenmomma02

In the Brooder
May 14, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes and no, I had chickens as a child once but having them as an adult made me realize just how much of the work involved in raising them from days old to adult that I wasn't involved in lol. But amazingly I seem to be quite good at it, tho at times it's been difficult and stressful and I still worry about them all the time... I love them so much... So much that it's probably strange to most people lol... But I don't care. They're my babies. And that's that... My newest adventure raising them started about 2 months ago.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Well, I started off with 6... Then I got 2 more... I originally went in just to get more food for the 6 I already had and when I walked in the things the store kept them in were right smack dab in front of me... I think it was a sign... and my fiance called me and as my phone died on him after I told him they had chicks there I could've swore I heard him say "we need more chickens"... What he actually said was no more chickens but I didn't learn that until I was already back home fixing their space up... Bless that man and his undying love and patience and support in anything that makes me as happy as my shickidees do... A few days later he suggested that I get 2 more of a breed that we learned of that were said to be "lap chickens"... So I went in to get 2 more of that specific breed and ended up getting 2 of one breed and also 2 of another that are the same as the ones I had as a child... So all in all I have a dozen babies... My fiance loves them as much as I do once he sees me with them... God I'm so lucky to have this man...

(3) What breeds do you have?

I started with 6 americaunas (I probably didn't spell that correctly for some reason I never do) they are currently just under 8 weeks old and ready to move from in my room (yes I know...but my chickens are very clean I change them everyday and keep them clean and happy and have even slept outside their pen multiple times on the nights that something didn't feel or look right to me and I wanted to be sure I was near of they needed me) then I got 2 Cornish rocks (I didn't find out till later that people almost exclusively get them to butcher and eat... To each their own of course...but I could never watch and care for a lil life for any amount of time and then kill or have someone kill them and eat them... I just couldn't) I wasn't aware that them living past the age they are usually butchered could cause them some serious health problems... :( I thought that I had saved them and giving them a chance at a life loved and happy... Now I just feel awful...but intend on doing everything I can to avoid those health problems watching their food intake and allowing them plenty of room to exercise or whatever it takes to keep them healthy... Then I went in to get 2 orpingtons but when I saw they had silkies with their lil feathered feet and that being the breed of a chicken that I nursed back to health after the other chickens almost killed her when I was a child I couldnt resist getting 2 of them too... So 6 americaunas, 2 Cornish rocks, 2 orpingtons, and 2 silkies.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I adore my chickens. I love watching them each come into their own individual personalities and characters. Watching my first 6 grow from so fragile and small to the healthy birds they are now and knowing that I had a hand in making that possible was an incredible feeling... I look forward to seeing my newest addition do the same.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I go to work... And I come home and spend time with my family I have 2 children both girls ages 11 and 6 and my fiance who has a 16 yr old daughter who is amazing and shicken sits for me on the 3 days I work 11 hr shifts... And I spend time with my shicks... That's the affectionate nick name my 6 yr old came up with for them shickidee shicks ❤️

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Oops I guess I kinda answered this too soon in the above question... But we also have 2 dogs one is a 3 legged miracle dog, and a cat. Who I also love very much... Just maybe not quite as much as I love my shickens... All our animals are all very loved tho.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I just found this site while searching for any info on an issue I might have with my Cornish rocks...this site is the only one I've been able to find anyone with the exact same issue and I'm trying to post a comment in hopes that someone may be able to help me figure out whats going on or what I can do. It's a long shot as the post says it's 12 years old but I'm desperate and will try anything and do whatever it takes to keep these babies alive and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom