My Silkie 'ate' a 2.25 inch peice of silicone tubing!! Exit strategy please!!

SilkieNation

Songster
13 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Rhode Island
My little Drizzle was getting her antibiotic. I use these amazing stepped, silicone tipped syringes made by Innovet. You can get the tiny tube way down a chicken's throat. I do use them over and over though - I rinse of course. This one was a bit loose from use, and I didn't have my glasses on to check it well enough before giving her the medication, and I shot it down her throat!!

She seems fine, went back to sleep, but what about its exit?? Can I give her something to help that along? I would seriously appreciate some advice, otherwise, off to the vet she goes and I absolutely, positively can't afford it. But I'll take her anyway.

I did the same thing to my cat. If you can believe it. My cat who gets tons of stuff every day because he's in kidney failure and on meds and a regime of herbs. (Happy ending.)

I still think the Innovet tips are amazing for many reasons, but you'd think I'd have learned my lesson and been more careful.

There are natural oils that will kind of lubricate their digestive system like they do ours, I'll try to get a list together. How flexible is the tubing?

There are natural oils that will kind of lubricate their digestive system like they do ours, I'll try to get a list together. How flexible is the tubing?

It's very soft and flexible. How about olive oil? I've got some of that, but would buy something else if it would be better. Thank you.

It's very soft and flexible. How about olive oil? I've got some of that, but would buy something else if it would be better. Thank you.
I've seen olive oil prescribed for impacted crops, so that should work just fine.
I wouldn't worry too much about her unless she starts acting unwell.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom