My silkie has an eye infection

Can you get some photos of her ear? Is there pus inside of it?
Look inside her beak - any lesions, canker, etc.?

Birds can be stubborn, but I usually just pop medication right inside the beak and they swallow it.

Since you have antibiotic eye drops, then I would only use the Neosporin on the face and around the eye.
Did the vet recommend that you work on removing the crusty parts?
Sorry i just saw this message, I will take some pictures of her ear in the morning and post. He didn't say anything about removing the crusty parts, but I've been trying with a damp cloth, and that shits really on there! Nothing in her mouth, trust me got a good look while trying to shove the oills down her throat as she spit them out for 2 hours!! I finally put them in water and used a syringe😒 its hard because I'm trying to do it alone.

Sorry i just saw this message, I will take some pictures of her ear in the morning and post. He didn't say anything about removing the crusty parts, but I've been trying with a damp cloth, and that shits really on there! Nothing in her mouth, trust me got a good look while trying to shove the oills down her throat as she spit them out for 2 hours!! I finally put them in water and used a syringe😒 its hard because I'm trying to do it alone.
I feel like its a fungus on her skin, its so flaky, I think its why her eyes were closed it grew over her lids at night and became crusty.

Attachments

• 20200922_100244.jpg
    20200922_100244.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200922_100255.jpg
    20200922_100255.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 3
Oh no😔 its 1 to 2 drops in both eyes 4 times a day for 14 days.
I feel like its a fungus on her skin, its so flaky, I think its why her eyes were closed it grew over her lids at night and became crusty.
It may be fungal hard to know.
Scaly Face Mites comes to mind too.
Did the vet take any scrapings to help I.D. what may be going on?

If you are struggling getting meds into her, you may need to swaddle her in a towel to help control her.
For mine, I like to stand up, place them on a table so I can pull them to me with my left arm, I use my body and elbow to "hold" them, that frees up the left hand to control the head. She doesn't have wattles, so you will need to grab the rear section of her beak between your middle finger and thumb, gently squeeze to get her beak open, from there you can get your pointer finger in the beak - pop the pill in with your right hand, immediately let go of her head so she can swallow. I know, sometimes they are very good at spitting out pills.

You can also crush up her dose (make it powder), mix it with just a bit of liverwurst or similar and give it that way.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

It may be fungal hard to know.
Scaly Face Mites comes to mind too.
Did the vet take any scrapings to help I.D. what may be going on?

If you are struggling getting meds into her, you may need to swaddle her in a towel to help control her.
For mine, I like to stand up, place them on a table so I can pull them to me with my left arm, I use my body and elbow to "hold" them, that frees up the left hand to control the head. She doesn't have wattles, so you will need to grab the rear section of her beak between your middle finger and thumb, gently squeeze to get her beak open, from there you can get your pointer finger in the beak - pop the pill in with your right hand, immediately let go of her head so she can swallow. I know, sometimes they are very good at spitting out pills.

You can also crush up her dose (make it powder), mix it with just a bit of liverwurst or similar and give it that way.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/
Oh opening her beak that way is helpful, thats not what I was doing 😒 I'm definitely learning a lot! The vet did not take any samples of the skin....now my other silkie has it, so its obviously contagious, they sleep together and are vest friends, it must be itchy because the flakes are minor but its getting red swollen spots from her itching I think. I read several things online that people used Monistat 7 or the athlets foot cream, so I bought that and rubbed it on carefully with a q tip 1 on each side to see what looks better. Something else I read was iodine. If I can't do the pill I'm definitely going to try the liverwurst!! Thank you!! I will let you know how it goes!!

If you don't mind, take photos to document your progress, it may be helpful to others.

The only other thing I can think of would be Scaly Face Mites.
Do you notice if her Leg Scales seem to be raised? Any problems with Scaly Leg Mites?

Back
Top Bottom