My silkie hasn't started laying yet...anyone know why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by urbanfarmergm, Apr 12, 2017.

1. urbanfarmergm

urbanfarmergm New Egg

May 11, 2016
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I've been raising chickens for awhile now and this is the first time I've had this happen. I have 1 silkie rooster and 1 hen, both a year old, she laid maybe 6 or 8 eggs back in the fall and since I let my hens take the winters off I never questioned her stopping before my layers. Now it's over 4 months later and she hasn't laid any this year. The layers have been laying for at least a month. The silkies are in a different run and coop (old dog house) but they are fed and watered and let out the same time as the others and the coop is cleaned at the same time as the other. The conditions should be the same for both silkies and layers... does anyone know the reason for her not laying?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Silkies aren't usually good layers. They lay clutches and go broody. Many will lay daily for about 3 weeks than stop to go broody and not resume for months.

It's not unusual for a silkie to go months without laying, especially through the winter.

It's also possible she has a hidden nest somewhere so if she goes missing one day I would assume she's sitting somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by