My silkie hen lays 2 eggs in one morning?!!! One right after the other.

birdiefluff

Chirping
Jan 25, 2019
NC
Is this normal for this breed to do that? I checked to see if she has 2 vents, but only has one. She's been laying an egg about every day. Then this morning laid 2!!!! One right after the other.

How old is she? New layers can have all sorts of glitches, none of them usually of concern, while an older hen may be signalling reproductive issues by popping out two eggs in the same 25 hour cycle.

I would just watch her for now. The risk with this happening is that it can be a drain on the hen's calcium reserves trying to build two shells so close together. If it becomes a habit, it can result in one egg trying to lumber down the reproductive canal without a shell and it can get stuck, or worse, rupture inside.

The treatment is calcium supplement in the form of calcium citrate to try to regulate the cycle back to one egg. For now, though, I wouldn't worry about it or do anything more than keep an eye on her egg laying.

It is a weird time of year, the end of summer early fall as well as early spring tend to see many more "glitches".
They aren't breed specifc and normally not age specific.
Last week a 3 year old easter egger shot out two eggs overnight from the roost one normal, one soft.
She's pretty much a daily layer still, but just had a heck of a night lol! :)

I would just watch her for now. The risk with this happening is that it can be a drain on the hen's calcium reserves trying to build two shells so close together. If it becomes a habit, it can result in one egg trying to lumber down the reproductive canal without a shell and it can get stuck, or worse, rupture inside.

The treatment is calcium supplement in the form of calcium citrate to try to regulate the cycle back to one egg. For now, though, I wouldn't worry about it or do anything more than keep an eye on her egg laying.
She is eating Purina one layer pellets, and cockatiel pet blend of mainly seeds and both have added calcium in them.

Back
Top Bottom