My Silkie is roosting

gwill23

Songster
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Grangeville Idaho
Interesting out of the 4 silkies I got a few months ago. I went in at night to lock up and I couldn't find my white one. I looked everywhere, then I saw she was up on the roost about 5 feet off the ground up with the big buff orpington and barred rock moms. Huh I guess that just shows, you never know what chickens might do.

My hatchery silkies have always roosted. All the other chickens and they just didn't know they weren't supposed to I guess. My show silkies didn't have a roost in their old coop. They did all prefer to perch on the 1x6 that kept the shavings in the coop, so I guess that is roosting of sorts. I just moved them into a new coop that has roosts. We shall see if they figure it out in the new coop.
smile.png

It will be interesting to see how the 4 silky chicks handle roosts. I have low roosts that go in the brooder at about 4 weeks, or when I see the chicks roosting on the feeders. About that time I switch the feeders to big girl feeders on a stepping stone and cover the opening at the top with and inverted steel mixing bowl taped in place. The slide off of it for quite a while. The perches are about 30x2x2, placed perpendicular to at the top of a 6"x2"x2" up rights and have a 6"x2"x4" stabilizer attached to the base of the upright. By the time the chicks are ready to move to the coop they are used to perches.

Back
Top Bottom