1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Silkie is roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gwill23, Oct 9, 2010.

1. gwill23

gwill23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Grangeville Idaho
    Interesting out of the 4 silkies I got a few months ago. I went in at night to lock up and I couldn't find my white one. I looked everywhere, then I saw she was up on the roost about 5 feet off the ground up with the big buff orpington and barred rock moms. Huh I guess that just shows, you never know what chickens might do.

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    That's cool. Mine just flop down in the center of the floor, between the water and food feeders...lol

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My hatchery silkies have always roosted. All the other chickens and they just didn't know they weren't supposed to I guess. My show silkies didn't have a roost in their old coop. They did all prefer to perch on the 1x6 that kept the shavings in the coop, so I guess that is roosting of sorts. I just moved them into a new coop that has roosts. We shall see if they figure it out in the new coop. [​IMG]

4. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    It will be interesting to see how the 4 silky chicks handle roosts. I have low roosts that go in the brooder at about 4 weeks, or when I see the chicks roosting on the feeders. About that time I switch the feeders to big girl feeders on a stepping stone and cover the opening at the top with and inverted steel mixing bowl taped in place. The slide off of it for quite a while. The perches are about 30x2x2, placed perpendicular to at the top of a 6"x2"x2" up rights and have a 6"x2"x4" stabilizer attached to the base of the upright. By the time the chicks are ready to move to the coop they are used to perches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by