My SILKIE RIR CROSS

Quote:
to create giant silkies...?

MMMMM not really all of mine turned out with regular feathers and they look small, not bantam size but smaller than large size.

I think they are pretty.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Mmmm that's sounds temping altho I didn't get any Roos on this batch. How about if I cross it with a regular silkie too instead would the results be the same?

3 pullets from the same clutch and they call came out different colours - so unique... and a blue one at that... I guess you could continue to line breed and mate the White Silkie Roo back to his daughters to see what you get. Probably a bigger crest and feathered legs this time around.

How many generations of line breeding before you get one that looks like the dad? Anyone?

Quote:
they way you mated the Silkie breed and RIR you can sex them at hatch... Girls will have black skin and boys will have white skin, an as you just found out all of them were pullets... Silkie roo over RIR will always produce this, where you can sex them at hatch.. but if you do it the other way around, say RIR roo over Silkie hen this will no longer work

I just hatched a Silkie x Production Red cross today. The chick came out with feathered legs, the extra silkie toe, and the feathering on her head. here's a pic of the Silkie father and the Production Red mother...
100_9337_crop.jpg

This isn't the actual mother. just a pic I found on the internet. Looks just like her though.
productionred.jpg

Here's the chick.
100_9708.jpg

100_9715.jpg

Notice the extra toe in the back and the feathered legs. So cute! Very Silkie-esque!
100_9713.jpg

Penny Weebitz we call her.
100_9718.jpg
Interesting. I have 4 dozens of production hens and 2 RIR roo. M planning to buy some pairs of silkie so I can have the silkie hen to raise the chicks from my production henxRIR roo. The silkie roo was just to make the silkie hen broody. And maybe get some extra silkie chicks? I need the silkie hen for their broodiness. Maybe I might try the silkie roo with the production to see if they will mate and get the same reault

My rir and silkie cross make gorgeous babies they have white heads and a calico feather pathers with white black silver reb and buff colors. she is in the back in this photo not a great picture but
20200617_155237.jpg

Back
Top Bottom