My Silkie roo is getting it on with my LF hen?!

Well good for him. Many owners find that their Silkie rooster in time rules the roost and is the darling of the large fowl ladies.

As to what the chicks will look like. We'd have to know more about the hens in question.

I do know that first generation progeny do not have the Silkie feathers. They usually have the black skin, and often the 5 toes (but not always).

Color depends on his color and the hen's.

Progeny should be about halfway sized between the 2 parents.

That some generalities.

LofMc

My rooster is an even smaller breed: a Sebright (he weighs 1lb). He regularly mates all of my girls, from the Silkies to the Brahma.

I find that he sometimes has a hard time mounting the bigger girls and really grabs on. He has caused feather damage and comb injuries before. He's gotten better with age, though.

Well good for him. Many owners find that their Silkie rooster in time rules the roost and is the darling of the large fowl ladies.

As to what the chicks will look like. We'd have to know more about the hens in question.

I do know that first generation progeny do not have the Silkie feathers. They usually have the black skin, and often the 5 toes (but not always).

Color depends on his color and the hen's.

Progeny should be about halfway sized between the 2 parents.

That some generalities.

LofMc
I’m wondering if it’s such a bad pairing that I shouldn’t allow it? Idk, I guess chicken breeding isn’t as serious as say... dog or horse breeding. It’s not like I’d be marketing & selling these offspring. 🤣

Attachments

• 20B6D1EC-AC6A-4BB3-8152-417CC9630B8A.png
    20B6D1EC-AC6A-4BB3-8152-417CC9630B8A.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 6D0CF7E6-8509-4D2E-91D5-423DED4A62F8.png
    6D0CF7E6-8509-4D2E-91D5-423DED4A62F8.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • B30F0926-567C-48BA-A1E5-E0AFDB18E96F.png
    B30F0926-567C-48BA-A1E5-E0AFDB18E96F.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
My rooster is an even smaller breed: a Sebright (he weighs 1lb). He regularly mates all of my girls, from the Silkies to the Brahma.

I find that he sometimes has a hard time mounting the bigger girls and really grabs on. He has caused feather damage and comb injuries before. He's gotten better with age, though.
Yes I noticed it’s like he’s a rodeo man, hanging on for dear life up there 😬

I’m wondering if it’s such a bad pairing that I shouldn’t allow it? Idk, I guess chicken breeding isn’t as serious as say... dog or horse breeding. It’s not like I’d be marketing & selling these offspring. 🤣

It really depends on what your flock goals are. Always breed with those in mind.

If these are just adorable pets, Silkie hybrids will meet that need.

If you want egg laying, or meat, then Silkie genetics will only drag down egg production and definitely carcass size, and I wouldn't breed.

As long as he is healthy, good tempered, and you aren't concerned that you will be spiraling your egg production, bird size, and carcass size downward toward the Silkie end of things, then no harm...uh no foul.

LofMc

My silkie rooster absolutely dominated the bachelor coop and ran roosters twice his size off the feed until he was done. I'm not surprised.
I have 4 roosters for 10 hens right now, by accident. All Silkie roosters. It’s so funny because they stay outside of the run, in a separate pasture. The roosters slip through the fence, the big girls do not. But they come in JUST to eat, drink, and mate... then eventually they run off & stick together in that pasture... it cracks me up. I really thought I’d need to separate or rehome 1-2 Roos by now.

Back
Top Bottom