My Silkie rooster started getting aggressive what do I do?

StephanieRose44

Songster
Nov 27, 2018
Fishkill NY
I noticed my Silkie rooster Chippie start pecking at my feet the other day, than it progressed to him pecking/attacking my feet when I got into the garden to feed/water everyone. He has been living together with my (Cornish x) rooster and (I think is his sister) Cinnamon my Female Silkie. Just the three of them, but today when I let them all out he started fighting with the big rooster he nipped his comb and made him bleed but I was afraid that Kurt(Cornish x) rooster would kill him and I just so happened to read an article somewhere about aggressive roosters before I went out so I picked him up the little guy carried him around for a while until he calmed down I put him down outside the garden, than eventually he got into the garden started fighting again so I picked him up as he’s pecking my feet again did it again but as soo. As I put him back Down he goes right back to attack mode on me. Right now I have him separated in the garden inside the run alone. I’m not sure about putting him back in the coop with the other rooster or even my other Silkie. The reason I have the two Silkies in with Kurt (he’s not aggressive at all) the female Silkie isn’t ready to lay.. so I was trying to keep the non-layers separate from the layers but I’m afraid what will happen I don’t want either of them to get hurt

Roosters hormones are surging this time of year. He may continue to get worse. Carrying him generally will do nothing. I recommend penning him up separately if you wish to keep him. Your poor hen shouldn't be with 2 roosters. They will mate her too much.

I’ve never seen Kurt mate with her or even try to.
How old are the Cockerels/ Roosters?
They definitely change once mature...

They are both 5 moths today . The fighting has gotten worse I kept Chippie (Silkie Roo) in the run and had him sleep in the big coop for the night. Along with Lucy my white leghorn who stays high on top of the perch just in case Chippie starts to annoy her, I felt a little bad so I let him & Lucy out first, I have Kurt and Cinnamon in a boarded up dog cage (shanty coop lol) the front is left with half the cage door open for ventilation but I lean a board in front to cover the opening so they feel safe (temporary) Well anyway I had Chippie out I put Kurt’s board down than let the hens out of the little coop, grabbed 5 eggs, all except Lucy’s— when I tried to get in to grab Lucy’s egg Chippie started jumping at my leg biting my pants I stood my ground and he seemed to sum it so I ran inside to grab food/water ect. Than I come out and Chippies right in front of Kurt’s cage with his hackle feather out, Kurt too he was going at him through the cage! As soon as I saw blood on Kurts feathers I immediately picked up Chippie and put him in the caged run. I thought Chippie got Kurt like he had the day before ( his comb is big and Chippie is fast) but when I went to check in Chippie it was him who was bleeding in his comb. I think since they’re both coming into that age now and the hens are around, Chippie is trying so hard to become “head rooster” even though I don’t. Think Kurt really cares much. I currently have 3 shelters 1 large coop with a run (fit 6 hens/) 1 small coop can fit maybe 4 (standard size) and 1 dog cage coop ( could fit maybe 3 hens but I doubt they’d want to go in their lol ) I want to move cinnamon in with the hens soon I just want to make sure she’s in the right coop with the right hens to look after her ❤️in just not sure how to separate The roosters or if there is anyway maybe keeping the roosters away from the hens would calm the fighting down?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom