My silky just hatched 2 of her 6 eggs - it is frigid outside-help

quiltchick

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Central NJ
Can't say I did not see her sitting on her eggs- but this was pretty new to me.
I am in Central NJ where it is polar vortex time again and this morning I see 2 little chicks in the nest. What should I do?

She is in a small coop with one other hen and a Rooster. (all just 11 months old and silkies)

I would bring her in if I knew how not to disturb her and how to set up a nursery.

I have raised chicks on my own, but not with a hen.

I hope this is the correct place to ask this question. Please tell me if I should post elsewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Polar vortexes notwithstanding, if your hen was able to keep her eggs at 99.5 degrees for 3 weeks she is capable of providing 95 degree warmth to her chicks for 1 week.

The big IF now is keeping the chicks dry and in touch with their mama. New hatched chicks are notorious for going skinny dipping in their drinking fountain. I would recommend that the hen and chicks have their own quarters out of the rain, sleet, and snow for at least the first week or two.

A good brood hen should stay anchored on the nest for 72 hours after her chicks hatch. The chicks will be fine living off the remainder of the egg yoke attached to their navel during this time and they need neither food nor water for 3 days after they hatch. Why do you think that baby chicks don't come from the hatchery with a feeder tray and a water fountain inside of their shipping box?

Thank you- that makes good sense!

I was wondering about separating her from the other 2 birds, if that would be more traumatic for her than having the other birds in her space with the chicks. It is a small coop- only 2 nesting boxes and a little roosting area, with a indoor/outdoor run.

Question is where do I keep her- I need to look for a home large enough for the hen And the babies on a very small budget!

I raised the chicks for the last couple of years in plastic bins -> cages ->coop.

I have to look around---Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom