My silly coturnix won't lay! I figured it out!

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
I hatched these guys March 5th. They still arent laying. They are fed(waste) free choice turkey starter(highest protein feed I can get at 28%) and of course have water 24/7. There is 2 males to about 10 females. None of them are picking on each other all there feathers are intact but I do hear crowing...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys!

UPDATE

Apparently you need to post on BYC to get your quail to lay. I got my first 2 eggs today!

Last edited:
All mine started right before they were 6 weeks old , but they are kina in the back away from everything noise of the street foot traffic etc it gets hot here I have been kina worried about mine a little I have misted them a coupla of times. I f you start at their feet they seem to enjoy it.
smile.png

oh yea it looks like Y'all are up to almost 15 and a half hours of daylight a day

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=250

Last edited:
Make sure they or something else is not eating the eggs, there isn't any reason why they shouldn't be laying.

I have had some lay in 7 weeks and some wait til 10 or 12 weeks. they will lay soon if roosters are crowing. The more you stress the longer it will be!!They should have plenty of light anywhere right now unless you have them in a basement!! One day you have none, soo you will be over run..

Back
Top Bottom