My Silver-Laced Australorp(ish) Project

If I understand the genetics correctly, the lacing won't show in the F1 but should show in the F2. Then I can breed the F2 back to the Australorps and repeat alternating crosses until I get something that looks like an Australorp but has the desired lacing.
Not always. This little gal only had one laced parent, and while it is obvious, I think the lacing she shows here is pretty nice. Not perfect, but it at least would show a small hint of what a finished bird could be
20220906_175352.jpg

Not always. This little gal only had one laced parent, and while it is obvious, I think the lacing she shows here is pretty nice. Not perfect, but it at least would show a small hint of what a finished bird could beView attachment 3336089
She's got partial lacing but not fully laced. A lot of that is smutty spangling on the breast.

She's got partial lacing but not fully laced. A lot of that is smutty spangling on the breast.
No, I know. I mainly was trying to show a F1 could show some lacing, that it wasn't impossible. A type of hint as to what the whole bird could look like when the project is finished. I might have worded it wrong though, my bad

No, I know. I mainly was trying to show a F1 could show some lacing, that it wasn't impossible. A type of hint as to what the whole bird could look like when the project is finished. I might have worded it wrong though, my bad
A good example of partial-ish lacing, but not one that should be used for breeding F2s.

A good example of partial-ish lacing, but not one that should be used for breeding F2s.
Really? Oh, okay. I figured the more lacing on the F1s, the better. Granted that girl was a sexlinked mix, so she isn't* being used in any projects. She just happened to be the chick from one laced and one nonlaced bird

Really? Oh, okay. I figured the more lacing on the F1s, the better. Granted that girl was a sexlinked mix, so she isn't* being used in any projects. She just happened to be the chick from one laced and one nonlaced bird
I'd have hatched enough not to use one that was showing patterning that wasn’t lacing. Indeed, you can just throw stuff together and hope for the best. But the more chicks you hatch for a project, the more selective you can be. I'd have rather used a bird with a solid breast and the lacing in the wings for a lacing project than use one that has "extra" stuff going on. Spangling isn't lacing. And I don't want to waste the time trying to clean it up for generations when I can just hatch more at first to get the birds I need.

Back
Top Bottom