Wait until your chicken math turns to farm math! We started with 5bantams.... Now have Orpingtons, Ameracaunas, ducks, a turkey poult, rabbits, goats, pigs and a new arrival today.... Our lovely gentle giant! A sorrel mare! It gets worse before it ever gets better....:D:hugs
You make it sound like there is eventually a cure... retirement?? (Ha! Yeah, right?) I started with 20 hens and 3 chicks, it "chicken-mathed" into 130 chickens, 21 turkeys, I-cant-count- how many ducks and geese, 4 peacocks, 2 llamas, and 2 alpacas. My husband wants to get a pig, and I am saying WAIT, I think we went over the insane quota, are we ever going to have a normal life? Then I see your quote that it gets worse before it gets better... so it should get better now right?

upload_2018-6-11_18-33-14.png

OH NO! :eek: What should I do?:barnie I live out in farm/rural country... most folks who want chickens already have plenty. :clap

OMG! The same thing happened to me. I bought 5 chicks and thought they were so cute, I went back and got 3 more. Unlike you, I didn’t have a coop yet. My husband and I spent 6 weeks in the cold and windy rain building the coop to get them out of the garage. Now two months later and I started thinking, I wished we had built it bigger. After all, don’t they deserve extra space? So today we broke ground to double the size. The problem is......more space = more chickens, right? I think I’m in trouble.

You make it sound like there is eventually a cure... retirement?? (Ha! Yeah, right?) I started with 20 hens and 3 chicks, it "chicken-mathed" into 130 chickens, 21 turkeys, I-cant-count- how many ducks and geese, 4 peacocks, 2 llamas, and 2 alpacas. My husband wants to get a pig, and I am saying WAIT, I think we went over the insane quota, are we ever going to have a normal life? Then I see your quote that it gets worse before it gets better... so it should get better now right?
No. Mostly it just gets worse. We are already looking at possibly getting more land. Lol. The getting better part is that eventually your animals will have you trained. Lol

One must employ Subtraction to chicken math equations.

Slaughtering all cockerels hatched will help control hatching obsession.

One brutal winter with a crowded coop and all the inherent Cabin Fever pecking/fighting/stress illness will help too.

I started out with 15 silkie chicks from a hatchery which 9 were roos. Rejomed 7. Went to Tractor supply and bought 6 sebright bantams. 1 died so husband went back and bought 5 more to replace the 1. Again 6 roos. Rehome 4. Now I am expected chicks next week from MPC. 29 6 Favorellas, 6 Polish, 10 cochrins ,2 Frizzles, 4 Jersey giants, plus I have 3 silkies sitting on 30 eggs that should hatch Monday or Tuesday next week.
Our family is growing.
Started with 2 small coops but I bought me a 16x20 shed for a coop and put a 40x40 run. Plus they can free range when I am out with them. I will be selling or giving away some of my silkie chicks.
My husband is great he just let's me gone on my crazy adventures.
But chicken math is a real thing. Who can resist those cute puffballs. I also want miniature goats.
So Welcome to the family. Of Crazy Chicken people.

I started out with 15 silkie chicks from a hatchery which 9 were roos. Rejomed 7. Went to Tractor supply and bought 6 sebright bantams. 1 died so husband went back and bought 5 more to replace the 1. Again 6 roos. Rehome 4. Now I am expected chicks next week from MPC. 29 6 Favorellas, 6 Polish, 10 cochrins ,2 Frizzles, 4 Jersey giants, plus I have 3 silkies sitting on 30 eggs that should hatch Monday or Tuesday next week.
Our family is growing.
Started with 2 small coops but I bought me a 16x20 shed for a coop and put a 40x40 run. Plus they can free range when I am out with them. I will be selling or giving away some of my silkie chicks.
My husband is great he just let's me gone on my crazy adventures.
But chicken math is a real thing. Who can resist those cute puffballs. I also want miniature goats.
So Welcome to the family. Of Crazy Chicken people.
Wow, you are the champ at re-homing roosters! Please, share the secrets to your success...

Back
Top Bottom