My slapped together coop : ) **Pic Heavy**

The coop looks great! The chickens look happy and healthy! And those nesting boxes are beautiful! Your hubby did a great job! Never be ashamed hon. Its a mothers day gift you will enjoy for many years!
smile.png

I had suggested using the unused space under our deck for our chickens and hubby was concerned with smell. I don't thaink its a valid reason, because we clean their coop every day. Any issues with yours being so close to the house? BTW, great nesting boxes!!

Quote:
Well my husband is a mechanical engineer so pretty much everything is well thought out in our life (or so it seems somedays lol)! Lol I just call it slapped together because that is what it looks like to me. We had to do a lot of patching because the plywood was all different shapes with pieces missing, etc.

I forgot to mention that we added roost poles the following weekend. They have one that runs the entire length of the coop (an unused closet pole) and two that sort of criss cross that one.

As far as the smell and rodents - no smell because I clean it every other day and use lots of Stall Dry. I was concerned about this too but it hasn't been a problem. Rodents - never had them in the 13 years we have lived in the house. We always have traps and poison in the garage loft, etc but never had a single dead mouse. We have so many neighborhood cats that no one in the area does!

I'll tell hubby everyone loves his nest boxes
big_smile.png
He would sneak out and tell the girls when I wasn't looking that they better use those nest boxes or else!
lol.png

Last edited:
Great idea using that area! I wish I had something like that to get me started! Maybe having the coop close to the house will also deter predators because of human activity.

Last edited:
Great looking coop. And the nest boxes are beautiful, very neat. I will say, tho, that for the size of your coop and the size of your flock that you keep; there, 6 is way overkill. Three would be more than plenty, as I think 1 nest for 8 or 10 hens is considered plenty. so, as you build your next coop, you may already have your nest box for it.
tongue.png

Everything looks great, and your chickens look healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom