My slapped together coop : ) **Pic Heavy**

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
It was actually built back in May as my Mother's Day gift. I'm a little embarrassed to post it after seeing such wonderful coops on here, but I'm going to anyway
smile.png
This coop is very crude and simple, made out of what we had leftover from last year's remodel phase, but it seems to be working quite well. We have a leak in the roof but I put it on hubby's honey-do list for the weekend along with insulating it
lol.png
My dream coop is in the works, hopefully a cute playhouse with a larger run with an opening to my new garden. It is part of the plan for our new backyard which should start taking shape next summer.

I have since made it into Fort Knox as I learned more about the predators in my area. It now is completely encased in hardware cloth and a security light is going to be installed within the next couple weeks. I have hung all their feeders and installed an automatic waterer. The run is dirt and floor of the coop is sand, which both the chickens and I love. I used shades this summer to keep the west sun off of them (it is on the north side of our house) and this winter, I'm covering the top with tarps to keep the run as dry as possible. My next coop will have everything including running water, air conditioning and heating! Now just to convince hubby...

He built the nest boxes from a design the woman at the feedstore gave him. The chickens never used the roost pole in the front (I told him they wouldn't, lol), but they are a great handle for me to open and clean the boxes.

It's simple, but it works!

We turned the unused bottom deck off our bedroom into the coop and run. It is 9'x12'.

2476904590_8b0e72d5de.jpg

We lifted the floor to make a back wall then power washed everything

2476905774_8a38bfffcb.jpg

The skylights were hubby's idea and I found the windows at a restoration place in our town. The roof is a bit cumbersome but it works for now

2668188999_b18f1cfce4.jpg

2669017828_b6b53b351b.jpg

Hubby built these
big_smile.png

2668186585_d15fdde683.jpg

The window to the side is my daughter's room. I keep the coop extra clean because of this. Her cats just love to sit in the window for hours and watch the chickens.
2668191037_1f892ca9d8.jpg

Almost done. We used plastic floor runners to cover the screens in the windows. We are looking for something different to use this winter.

2668193963_8a8ed6fe91.jpg

"I can fly!" I love this picture. This is the moment the girls were released into their new run. Nina took off in flight and seemed almost shocked that she could!

2702064420_e64d81f9af.jpg

2702066196_eb655ae9d3.jpg

whats wrong with that coop?..it looks great to me..using the overhead deck supports is an awesome idea!...and the boxes are great!...how many chickens do u have?...Wendy

Hey, those are real nice nest boxes your hubby built!

Im gonna be scrounging through the barn this weekend for just about anything that I can find to use for nest boxes since a bunch of pullets and several ducks just started laying.

Nothing is safe from my using it for a nest box, feeder, coop, pen, etc. LOL. Im all for using what ever you have on hand or can scrounge. My most recent new pen was built out of one of those metal frame carports with a canvas cover and sides. We just added wire and presto... 10x20 pen. This weekend we are converting a 12x12 metal and canvas garden shade structure into a pen.

Chel

WOW. I love the coop and pen. It looks like the stuff I build. I have 2 big coops and 3 smaller coops and over 75% I did on my own (hubby didn't help). And most of it is stuff that is around the farm.

Thank you
big_smile.png
It's not pretty but it's functionable and it makes use of a very useless space in our yard. Other than that, the great thing about it is I have discovered just what I want and need in my next coop. We didn't have a lot of money to invest at the time so everything but some of the fencing, the gate and the wood for my nest boxes was scrounged from the garage. The chickens seem to love it!

Wendy, I have 10 pullets - RIRs, BO's, BSL and EE's.

I really like your coop too and the nest boxes are great. I am curious about where they roost to sleep? Do you have roosts or do they sleep on the ground?

Jody

wow, i wouldn't call that 'slapped together'! it looks like a well done project.
it looks safe, well thought out and neatly done. i love the hinged roof; that is something we are planning for some small sized coops for breeders.

well done! God bless your little flock for health and protection!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom