My small flock is just over 2 months old....

Asm610

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
I seem to have 3 or 4 Black Australorp Cockrels and 4 light brahma cockrels. These were supposed to be 20 hens...10 of each. Anyway...the cocks seem to be getting a bit aggressive toward each other. I didnt expect it this soon. Is this normal for cockrels? Do I need to move a few to a seperate coop once Im done building it. How do I keep them from fighting so much? I plan on leaving no more than 3 with the hens...but likely 2 .....one of each breed that would mean 7 to each cock. Does that sound about right?

At this age they may be figuring out the pecking order more than really fighting. Make sure there is plenty of space and areas to hide behind (out of sight out of mind) so the more picked on ones can get a break. They say the female to male ratio should be about 10 to 1, but it kind of depends on your individual birds. 7 to 1 might work out for you but be prepared to change this if it doesn’t.

I seem to have 3 or 4 Black Australorp Cockrels and 4 light brahma cockrels. These were supposed to be 20 hens...10 of each. Anyway...the cocks seem to be getting a bit aggressive toward each other. I didnt expect it this soon. Is this normal for cockrels? Do I need to move a few to a seperate coop once Im done building it. How do I keep them from fighting so much? I plan on leaving no more than 3 with the hens...but likely 2 .....one of each breed that would mean 7 to each cock. Does that sound about right?
What are your goals?
Sounds like maybe you want to hatch out pure breed birds?
If that is correct, you'll need to keep the breeds separate.

For me, I don't plan to ever have more than one roo (at sexual maturity) with my girls. Not worth the headache or stress! So for me I'd rehome or send the others to freezer camp.

Right now you aren't really seeing true roo fighting so keep that in mind it can get worst

These birds will never be killed, I bought them all with the intent of them being Egg layers and they are all going to live full lives. Ill just build a bachelor pad for the guys and keep em seperate....at least thats my intent. I may trade a Rooster down the road...but my meat birds will be raised seperately...and I will not grow attached to them like my egg birds. I literally spend hours every day with these birds have names for them and hold and talk to them with my wife. As a veteran with PTSD...Its actually been therapeutic for me something I never expected. Its addicting...a lifestyle choice !

Back
Top Bottom