My small solution to a muddy run

I think your chickens need to build themselves an ark!
lau.gif

Wow! I don't know if you can let them free-range or not. I don't get standing or running water but when the mud is really icky I let them free-range. I figure it has to be healthier.

Last edited:
That must have been the rain on Thursday? I live in your neck of the woods as well. My girls spent the day in their houses. We get the runoff from the park behind our house, but not like that! Yikes!

it is supposed to be dry for a couple weeks, hubby is already putting in drain pipes- will be putting in more concrete barrier around the run - and will probably cover part of it too- we really have been getting lots of rain lately- i think they said the years total is 45 inches, way over normal- until we know it is secured, will probably keep them in for any other heavy rains

Oh Gosh!!! We had rains also for days on end...this is my run for the Buffs, poor babies...Im lost as to what to do...all the back of the yard where the coops are do this...

36033_buffs_flooded.jpg

36033_bflooded.jpg

we do DE and Stall Dry when we can....I put boards down to help them out of the water...

Oh, Robin, I am so sorry!! How awful for you! For those who just have muddy runs, here is what we do during the winter months..or about now!
1280_dsc03221.jpg

The hay gives them seeds to scratch for, keeps the ground beneath from freezing ergo.....bugs...and in the very early spring we have young greens coming up from the seeds that fall through. We use a large round bale of hay to unroll inside the run. It is several inches thick and keeps chickens off the wet/frozen ground.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, the red box at the end of the run, is just a box made from pallets and covered with a thick tarp from a national brand trucking company. You can buy the damaged tarps for twenty-five dollars and we have several to cover pens, etc. with. Call your local trucking company and ask if they have any damaged tarps to sell. The chickens nap in there or just sun themselves at the opening. They have a large two room coop to return to at night.

Last edited:
The ozark hen has a great idea. I also put hay in our run, the chickens love to scratch through it looking for seeds, bugs, etc. and it does make the run cleaner.
Excellent idea for runs which have turned to mud.

DonnaBelle

oh wow!!! Thats awesome...the hay!! do u think loose hay would work??? I have a friend that the goats wont eat the hay once it touches the ground, so he throws away alot of clean hay....

Back
Top Bottom