my smart chickens....

thekla

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Crow area- near Eugene OR
moved into their coop on Monday, we moved runs over and attached them to the coop yesterday, so last night I went out at about 8 and chased (shoved in some cases) them all inside for the night, then noticed that it was still a bit light at 9, so tonight I waited until just after 9... I got out to the coop and every one of them was already inside and settled in to the night. So, yeah, proud mom here. (38 of them are about 8 weeks and 31 of them are about 6 weeks) so there is still a bit of tensoin between the 2 groups since they were in seperate brooders/runs until Monday when they all went into the coop, some of the bigger roos and a few of the older pullets kinda picked on the littler ones, so yesterday, when several came down into the area where the little ones were I stuck a big fuzzy purple webster into the coop and shook it at the big ones...they all ran away from the little ones, I repeated a couple times, and after the first few shakes I didn't even put it into the run, just shook it by the run (for some reason it didn't scare the little ones - just the bullies) Today there were only a couple that picked on the little ones and I used a squirt gun, and that worked really well, so hopefully they will all get used to each other soon...

Lol, congrats on them putting themselves to bed at night, kinda makes ya proud!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom