My Son Does NOT Have An English Accent

Quote:
He probably gets asked that so often that it doesn't offend him. My son wasn't offended by the questions, just befuddled.
lol.png

Last edited:
In Latin class a couple weeks ago, we were going over some of our scientific vocab words and their Latin roots. One of them was magniloquent.... one of my classmates (a girl by the way) said "That's kinda how Brad talks..." I just stared at her with this "look" and my mouth dropped open. FYI - magniloquent means: speaking or expressed in a lofty or grandiose style; pompous; bombastic; boastful, noble etc. My teacher tried to explain to her that the connotation isn't a positive one.. though I guess it could be taken as a compliment. I guess that's what you get for living in Hicktown, USA.

The title of this thread reminds me of one of my favorite stories regarding my middle child. In fact most of my funny stories involve her for some reason. Anyway......

She was quite the little actress and while in high school loved to talk with an English/British accent. She was very good at it and sometimes would do it for days. One day at school they had a substitute teacher and according to my daughter, the kids came up to her and said "Candice, use your British accent today to fool him." So she did. He eventually asked her, in front of the entire class where she was from. She said "England" in her best English/British accent. He said "England? Really? Which part?" She said "The Northern part".
smile.png
We still laugh today because it took her so off-guard that she could not name a single town in England, not even London - so she just said she was from "the northern part". I think that blew her cover but we still laugh about it today by saying "the northern part" with our best, long, drawn out British accent.

I think where you live while learning to speak has a great influence. My folks were at Fort Knox while I was a baby/toddler, and though I've lived north of the Mason/Dixon line all the rest of my life, people still ask if I'm from the South.

Oh, if we're taking a vote . . . I just love Irish accents.

Back
Top Bottom