My Son Does NOT Have An English Accent

I have been asked that question all my life. I am hearing impaired, not completely deaf. But I do sound different to other people. I just tell them the reason and they get a blank look on their faces. I know a lot of people do not associate deafness with speech impediment. But I don't get angry at them. I just tell myself "I tought them something today". Then I go on about my business.

How funny...this "hearing" stuff...I have lived many places in this world.

I am US born and raised, mostly NE, New York.

I have lived in Norway 15 years, working mostly with Brits, and acquired the international accent while there.
My sister came to visit, (me in Norway), from New York, and the first thing she said was "How funny you tawk"........

Even now, living in Texas, after many years overseas, I have no detectable American dialect..I could be from anywhere in the USA.......love it!

PS I am also hearing impaired...left is deaf...it's funny sometimes!

Last edited:
It is interesting how many people with speech impediments or who are hearing impaired have been asked if they have nonAmerican accents.

My aunt who took care of me as a child was severely HI, and I had years of speech in school to be able to pronounce sounds she couldn't make. My speech teacher was from hong kong so I have a vauge british colonial way with my vowels. I get asked about it often, and people have told me they called just to hear me talk.
gig.gif

Havin a speech impediment isnt fun.....i had the exact same experience all through school up til like 8th grade.... couldnt say the R, L, or S sound
roll.png
and i was accused of being English like 10 times
tongue.gif
And teased like crazy
smack.gif
so YEAH, just my life story
frow.gif

i took a class to help out my southern accent(talking thru the paper towel roll and everything) but, decided i like my accent, there isn't any wrong with it.

EVERY place has an accent. But if it is what you grew up familiar with or are surrounded by daily, you will not hear it as an accent, but rather think that that is unaccented English.

Quote:
Yes, but that just makes all those british actors even more attractive! (Not that they needed it to begin with LOL)

Sean Bean is probably one of my favorite english villians. Anthony Hopkins too, but I think he is Welsh.

Back
Top Bottom