1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My son is working on a research paper....your input is wanted!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WthrLady, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Cocci

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Mereks

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Avian Flu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Newcastles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mites/Ticks

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Intestinal Worms

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. Respiratory Infections - colds etc

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. Flies - Fly strike infections

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  9. Fowl Pox

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  10. Other - please add your OTHER as a reply as well

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    With the insurgency of backyard and small flock chicken keeping, my son has decided to write a research paper on the most common diseases and pests (not predators) that flocks come up against. Could you please take a second to fill out this poll??? Thank you.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You need a none of the above.

3. UrbanFarmOC

UrbanFarmOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Southern California
    I'd also add bumblefoot to the list.

4. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    We considered bumblefoot, but as it is infection due to micro injury to the foot we did not. But will gladly take it as other.

5. UrbanFarmOC

UrbanFarmOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Southern California
    Ah I see. I suggested because my friend just spent the last 6 months dealing with a stubborn case of bumblefoot for one of her hens. It's a longer period than either of us had had to deal with for other illnesses or ailments

6. WthrLady

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Noted! Thank you!

He's adding "secondary infection - due to accident or injury/predator attack". I am unable to edit the poll. But it is going in the paper.

Also going in the paper, " people who choose to let nature take it's course and not worry about any of it"

Thanks everyone! His teacher is super excited about this paper as she is planning on chickens for their family!

Keep 'em coming'!!

7. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    In turkeys and peafowl the disease I deal with most is blackhead (hisomoniasis) and the E.coli that they almost always get with it.
    In chickens it's coccidiosis, Marek's, ascites, cancer and EYP.
    Ducks are pretty healthy, but every now and then I get one with a bacterial infection of the intestines.
    Pigeons - Canker

I am one that does everything possible to save mine.

-Kathy

8. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Other: Bumblefoot. The time involved per chicken, per foot, per day, over a period of potentially months to heal is unquestionably the largest amount of time I have spent treating my chickens for anything. Bumblefoot is preventable. This did not have to happen.

Worming them doesn't take much time at all.

9. bestnestbox

bestnestbox Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    respiratory illness would be first. and worms secondary.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Newcastle is almost never an issue.

There are far more common problems in poultry. Kathy mentioned EYP as an issue. This one is HUGE. EYP accounts for more losses in 2ish year old hens than just about anything else other than predation. It is likely genetic in nature, and has not been bred out of lines used by the larger hatcheries in the US. This is a shame, but good for their business models because the affected birds have a limited life expectancy- they stop laying and die shortly thereafter. It is too bad because these birds do not die a good death. It is long, drawn out and painful for the birds as well as the keepers. I have shed more tears of sadness, anger and frustration over this issue than any other.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by