My son the genius.

My DD was another that did poorly in elementary, then middle school. Then I went for a conference with her 7th grade teacher (who just happened to be one of my high school teachers). Instead of being critical of my daughter, she told me not to worry. Seems she was bored with all the stuff they were teaching because she was so ahead of the rest of the class. She said that once she got to high school where she could pick her classes she would jump on ahead. Indeed she did - then on to college where continued to make A's in all here classes. When she finally got a B, her counselor told her she could finally breath and have some fun.

bun.gif

Quote:
Oh this kid is WAY smarter than me. I guess he just figured out how to use it. He can now get ALL kinds of loans and grants to continue on to ASU after two years, which is what he wants. I am so stinking proud of that kid!!!!

I discovered that the only prouder moment that you will have with him is when he walks across the stage at his college graduation.

I homeschooled my kids from the second and fifth grades through high-school, and I was always terrified that they weren't doing enough school work. (As in they didn't do any school work. Except DD who would rarely play with the math books that I had bought them) I had them tested yearly, and they both always tested above high-school level. So I was hoping that that was more important than the busy school work that the public schools seem to thrive on. Both kids started Community College at 16, and both seemed to love the pace of learning there. My DD Graduated from the UofWashington this spring. I wish you and your DS the best. College seems to be a lot more suited to the really smart kids that need a faster pace of learning, than what the public schools offer.

That sounds a bit like me, only I didn't drop out of high school.. Probably should have, but..
tongue.png
I was perpetually tossed into the 'gifted' pool based on test results, too, but I hardly ever did any routine homework or anything like that. Graduated high school with a GPA of about 2.5, despite the fact that my ACT scores indicated that I *should* be in the top 3% of incoming freshmen.
lau.gif
I, too, was a good test-taker who relied on a really good memory.

I messed around for a while once I got to college, but I eventually strapped it all down and got an AAS in IT -- just like yer kiddo. Been working in the field ever since.. Been about 11 years now. It's been good enough to me that I bought a 25 acre farm at 26 years of age.

He should realize, though, that IT's very -- VERY -- tough right now. Lots and lots of the work is moving to India. I know people have been saying that for years, and it's something everyone's sort of aware of, and maybe it all seems a little nebulous right now....BUT IT REALLY IS HAPPENING. I have conference calls, IM chats, and perpetual email conversations with trashware authors in Bangalore *all the time* these days.. It's going to be especially hard if he's going into software development, but most other technologies that were once "boots on the ground" positions are able to be controlled remotely.. Today's network engineers, for instance, aren't running cat5 cable -- companies hire electrical/telecom grunts to do that.. A router gets installed and POOF!...next thing you know, if you need the router configuration changed or you have to troubleshoot some kind of problem , you send an email to some IT Ops team in India and they do it from half a world away for..like..$1/hour.

Not trying to be a downer or anything...just sayin'...IT's really hard right now.

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom