My son wants an "ugly" chicken

He has decided we need a Silkie though haha
Naked Neck Turken are surprising fantastic hardy birds.. both in personality and utility.. ie laying! Get one, they put ugh in ugly, lol! :love

Guess ya gotta get Showgirl.. a naked neck Silkie!

Most Dong Tao seen on the webs are severely POOR examples with major parasite and maybe nutrient/husbandry issues, imho.. I wish I could find one of them beautiful monsters to grace my pasture! Yes they are also not gentile on the eyes.. :sicklooking very much like a game bird with super powered drumsticks. :D

But have I ever really seen an ugly chicken/bird.. :confused:

It's fantastic that you have options, what a fun choice! :wee

Showgirl silkies, frizzle showgirl silkies, frizzle naked neck, regular naked neck....
Frizzles and Silkies are some that I suggested that he look at, he thinks they are awesome but we aren't sure what kind of Frizzle he wants most so we were looking at some mixes. Ill have his add these to his list to see what he thinks. Thank you.

Ya I can't bring myself to be okay with getting a Turken. They are to ugly even for us haha. His opinion of ugly probably matches others opinions of beautiful, so far I think he looked into rumpless breeds, that breed that's feet get crazy big and over grown and, the biggest breeds he could find. He has decided we need a Silkie though haha
As long as everyone knows that the silky may not be able to live with the "real" chickens.

He is looking into Frizzles options, I'll have him look into crested breeds as well. Thank you.
cream brabanter hen.jpg

Naked Neck Turken are surprising fantastic hardy birds.. both in personality and utility.. ie laying! Get one, they put ugh in ugly, lol! :love

Guess ya gotta get Showgirl.. a naked neck Silkie!

Most Dong Tao seen on the webs are severely POOR examples with major parasite and maybe nutrient/husbandry issues, imho.. I wish I could find one of them beautiful monsters to grace my pasture! Yes they are also not gentile on the eyes.. :sicklooking very much like a game bird with super powered drumsticks. :D

But have I ever really seen an ugly chicken/bird.. :confused:

It's fantastic that you have options, what a fun choice! :wee

I'm gonna have to give some serious thought to the naked neck Turkens, a lot of people seem to really enjoy them. I will look into Showgirl, maybe ill be easier convinced to get one of them haha.

He wants a Dong Tao so bad but if I decide to fork out the money for one I feel like the hardest part is going to be finding one that I trust the breeder enough to actually purchase some.

Araucana look so adorable with it rumpless tail.
Araucana are NOT rumpless in every standard.. example is the UK.
As long as everyone knows that the silky may not be able to live with the "real" chickens.
B to the S dear misinformed chicken friend.. ;)

Silkie is a chicken and can hold their own with the best of them in rain, large fowl pecking order, lay rate, free range, etc.. I bred them for a few years.. they don't adjust easily to sudden changes and SOME aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.. But they should not be poopoo'd in the way that folks try to make us think their too fragile and should be kept under blanket lock and key.. :yesss:

I keep a stag pen with rooster as well.. The bantam boys know it isn't about the size of the chicken in the fight but the fight in the chicken. Shipping IS a bit harder on bantams.. but beyond that.. it's people who are delicate. :)

Back
Top Bottom