My "Star" layer

clevetromba

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
Northeast Ohio
This was purchased from Meyer Hatchery as a day-old chick, and was supposed to be a Golden Buff, but she also looks a lot like a Rhode Island Red.
What do ya'll think? She is my star egg layer, out of the four breeds I bought she started laying the earliest (just over four months old, whereas the GLW waited until six months), lays an extra large brown egg every morning, and hasn't stopped laying all winter. She even laid two giant double yolkers last Summer. She's the most docile, very easy to handle, and is always the first to approach me. She may not be the most flashy color wise, but I'll definitely get more like her next time.

Just before I took this picture she flew from where she was standing on the ramp over to my arm. I set her down in the snow and got this handsome picture. I've always thought she had the most muscular looking body compared to my other three (GLW, BR, SS)

She's the most curious

Here she is about one week old

This was her first time outside. We brought them out into the fenced in garden, because I didn't know if they'd try to run away.

If I shovel the snow, they'll come out no matter how cold, but they won't set a foot in the snow unless they can see grass or dirt under it.

She looks like a Golden Buff / red sex link, have some from Meyer also that look just like her, great layers.

Red sex links can vary greatly in appearance - the white feathering in her tail to me indicates that she is indeed a 'golden buff'.

Your hen is a Red Sex-Link. She is not a Rhode Island Red, as true Rhode Island Reds are much larger and more of a mahogany color

Back
Top Bottom