1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My "Star" layer

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clevetromba, Mar 7, 2015.

1. clevetromba

clevetromba Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    This was purchased from Meyer Hatchery as a day-old chick, and was supposed to be a Golden Buff, but she also looks a lot like a Rhode Island Red.
    What do ya'll think? She is my star egg layer, out of the four breeds I bought she started laying the earliest (just over four months old, whereas the GLW waited until six months), lays an extra large brown egg every morning, and hasn't stopped laying all winter. She even laid two giant double yolkers last Summer. She's the most docile, very easy to handle, and is always the first to approach me. She may not be the most flashy color wise, but I'll definitely get more like her next time.

Just before I took this picture she flew from where she was standing on the ramp over to my arm. I set her down in the snow and got this handsome picture. I've always thought she had the most muscular looking body compared to my other three (GLW, BR, SS)
    [​IMG]
    She's the most curious
    [​IMG]
    Here she is about one week old
    [​IMG]
    This was her first time outside. We brought them out into the fenced in garden, because I didn't know if they'd try to run away.
    [​IMG]
    If I shovel the snow, they'll come out no matter how cold, but they won't set a foot in the snow unless they can see grass or dirt under it.
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    She looks like a Golden Buff / red sex link, have some from Meyer also that look just like her, great layers.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Red Sex-Link (aka Red Star)

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Red sex links can vary greatly in appearance - the white feathering in her tail to me indicates that she is indeed a 'golden buff'.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your hen is a Red Sex-Link. She is not a Rhode Island Red, as true Rhode Island Reds are much larger and more of a mahogany color

6. clevetromba

clevetromba Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks everyone, I'm glad to have that confirmation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by