My stubborn Dad is at it again.

Cecisflock

The Backyard Brahmas
Nov 19, 2020
Des Moines, Iowa
My dad is at it again. After losing Daytona the whole family knows we need more chickens. Her death was really hard. She had a prolapsed vent that we just couldn't fix. Not even the vet. He wants a breed that isn't prone to laying too many eggs until they die, but will still lay a reasonable amount to offset the brahmas.

We have 7 chickens and are getting around 2-3 eggs a day. I know it will change with the weather, but I don't know if our show quality new girls will ever lay! they are 19 months, we've had them for a month, and still no eggs! Iris is molting pretty hard so that's understandable but Winnie looks ok for just coming out of a molt. Is it a stress thing?

Anyway, as for breeds. I have about a dozen egg customers and I just can't keep up! Things are getting crazy. Dad tells everyone we know that we have chickens, and now everyone wants eggs! I suggested dominique, but I'm not sure if they are right. I want a bird that is sweet, and slow maturing but not giant like my brahma babes. I know we are going to have brahmas forever because they are the best birds ever but they aren't super reliable egg layers, lilac still has only laid 5-6 eggs and then she molted! Does anyone have any suggestions? Orpingtons aren't a fav but if anyone has a fun color suggestion they could be on the table- same with legbars or ees

Basically- slow maturing, medium egg size (less egg binding), around 250-300 eggs a year, Very sweet, no bantams (I can't trust Twinkle)

Does this bird exist??

My dad is at it again. After losing Daytona the whole family knows we need more chickens. Her death was really hard. She had a prolapsed vent that we just couldn't fix. Not even the vet. He wants a breed that isn't prone to laying too many eggs until they die, but will still lay a reasonable amount to offset the brahmas.

We have 7 chickens and are getting around 2-3 eggs a day. I know it will change with the weather, but I don't know if our show quality new girls will ever lay! they are 19 months, we've had them for a month, and still no eggs! Iris is molting pretty hard so that's understandable but Winnie looks ok for just coming out of a molt. Is it a stress thing?

Anyway, as for breeds. I have about a dozen egg customers and I just can't keep up! Things are getting crazy. Dad tells everyone we know that we have chickens, and now everyone wants eggs! I suggested dominique, but I'm not sure if they are right. I want a bird that is sweet, and slow maturing but not giant like my brahma babes. I know we are going to have brahmas forever because they are the best birds ever but they aren't super reliable egg layers, lilac still has only laid 5-6 eggs and then she molted! Does anyone have any suggestions? Orpingtons aren't a fav but if anyone has a fun color suggestion they could be on the table- same with legbars or ees

Basically- slow maturing, medium egg size (less egg binding), around 250-300 eggs a year, Very sweet, no bantams (I can't trust Twinkle)

Does this bird exist??
Hybrids are really good egg layers and also really Hardy.

My RIR is great.

Stay far, far away from hybrids/production breeds. Of the reproductive issues my birds have had all of the instances were with my Red Stars. 2 cases of egg binding, one fatal, a prolapsed vent, and short lifespan are enough to convince me to not get any more. Shame, they have such great personalities.

Back
Top Bottom