My Sumatras

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jun 19, 2009.

1. One of my hens:

[​IMG]

Rooster:
    [​IMG]

2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Wow! They're both beautiful, but geez, that rooster is gorgeous! [​IMG]

3. Thank you! The roo's tail is a little ratty right now because he's been in a dirt pen while the coop is being remodeled...

I'll have some eggs available in a few weeks. [​IMG] I have a trio right now (one roo & two hens) but one of my hens is BROODY! LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  4. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

Wow they are pretty!! Do you have problems with them flying? I hear they are great flyers.

5. Thank you! No, I don't really have problems. My runs are covered and I have lots of roosts at different heights. I could also clip a wing if I needed them to be grounded...

6. I've been told that they are an intelligent breed. Is this true? My one pullet is very wild but I do notice that she seems to be brighter than my other chicks. [​IMG]

Your birds are beautiful!

7. gway2008

gway2008 Songster

Jun 10, 2009
    Just Gorgeous! [​IMG]

8. Quote:Yes, they are...the sumatra chicks are the first ones in the brooder to figure out the water/food on their own. They also just have an intelligent way about them.

9. Quote:Thank you!!!

10. max13077

max13077 Songster

Very nice birds!

My friend gave me some feathers from one of his sumatras to tie fishing flies with. OMG!!! [​IMG] They are amazing! The colors are brilliant, the stems are microscopic yet like steel, and they tie like a dream. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: