My sweet Snickers is really sick.

SarahBeth9394

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
I had to leave my bluetick coonhound at the vet this morning. She has a hot spot that just got disgusting over the weekend and is just oozing. I cleaned it up several times but she got to looking real bad last night. I tried to bathe her but the base of her tail was so sensitive she cried when the water ran over it. She's got a fever so high that the vet said it might be something more than an infection. We agreed on a course of treatment but she still said that if it is something worse and she passes there wouldn't have been any more they could do than what they are doing. Ok so I'm worried and just waiting till this evening when I can call and check on her. Today sucks.

hugs.gif
if shes at the vet, chances are shes in good hands.
hugs.gif

Hope everything goes well for your puppy. @ the vet she is in good hands, but I know that your are realy nervous. Send a prayer for you and your puppy

I learned something new today. The vet tech was asking about Snickers eating and if she had had any pork products. Well other than about a bite of ham this morning since she turned down her canned food all by itself (usually we mix the dry with a little canned) no we don't give the dogs much for scraps. She said she was just checking because pork products are very bad for dogs. Her neighbors dog died just after Thanksgiving because they fed it some ham from the big dinner. Well that was news to me. Growing up my mom would make fried pork chops 3 times a month and they always gave the dogs the bones. None of them ever got sick from it. But hearing that was enough for me to not give the dogs pork.

Just talked to the vet and Snickers is cleaned up. She ate a little and her fever is down to 103. Testing for heartworms, Ehrlich and lyme are negative. So it's better but she's still got a ways to go.

I'm glad Snickers is doing better. It's really scary when they suddenly get sick.

Sometimes when people give dogs scraps, they give them all the fatty scraps that the people don't want to eat. Dogs can get very sick and even die from eating too much fat at one time. They can get pancreatitis. Most pork is a lot leaner than it used to be in the old days. If you give them all the fat trimmed from the outside of a big holiday ham, though, that can end up being a lot of fat.

hey grits I was hoping I could get that satin ball recipe from you. These stinky dogs of mine loose their appetites in the Tx heat and humidity. I think they would benefit from a satin ball or two here and there.

Snickie is home now. She's doing much better but has to be an indoor dog for a few days till she's healed up. I'm putting her on the flea pill and she's gonna need a steroid shot about every 2 to 3 months for itching.

Back
Top Bottom