My timid rooster and my sweet hen are turning mean....

SilkieLover78

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
I received a small buff silkie hen who loved me.... followed me around and was as sweet as could be. New to chickens, I went to get her a "friend" and wound up buying 3 white silkies that were young, but older than she was. The three older ones never took to me much, even though i tried hard to befriend them. Well... one (a hen), who was deformed died...Then a few months later my rooster died. Well, i though he was the only rooster of the 4. Down to two chickens.... a month or so later, one begins to crow. I assumed it was my buff because she was younger and it just made sense that she would now be starting. Seemed to make sense as she was always brave against the pther three who kind of shunned her and TRIED to bully her at first since she was the loner, and smaller. Well.... come to find out, that it was my timid white one who was the rooster after all.

So now here we are... 2 happy chickens. One sweet, lively hen, and one timid rooster who crowed a lot. Anyhow, lately they are both getting mean. My hen, who I held when she could fit in my hands, suddeny starts pecking me, and getting fresh. Nothing major... but not like her, for sure. Then.... a few days ago, the rooster starts chasing my daughter. He was never like this. If anything, he would run from his own shadow.

What could this be... and will it pass? I love these two, and would hate to let them go... but i can't deal with having two mean chickens. I didn't think silkies got this way. Any insight???

I am a novice at this chicken stuff!!!

No one has ANY feedback? I justy want to know if it's normal for them to turn like that, and if it will pass. Or maybe I should say, what can I do to encourage that? ANYBODY??

I am afraid I can't help you. My best guess would be hormones. Once they reach a certain age hormones can play a roll in temperament.
Give people a little time to answer. I am sure someone will help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom