My tom doesn't roost?

FarmGirlNE

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 8, 2007
Tiplersville, MS
My neighbor gave me a bronze turkey tom a few days ago... my 2 girls roost with the chickens on the boards at the top of the barn... but this tom stays on the ground... is that normal? my tom I lost roosted on top of his doghouse or on the fence... I wondered if maybe the neighbor hadn't had anything for them to roost on in their pen, I don't remember seeing anything for them to roost on, but then I was paying more attention to the birds and not to the pen lol

Is he a broad breasted turkey? If so, then he will likely never roost. They are too heavy and can't fly up to roost. Eventually, their legs go as well..especially on the toms. Our hen made it to 3 years, but our toms legs went by 6-7 months.

If he's not broad breasted, then maybe he just doesn't understand the roosting concept. He may pick it up after watching the others eventually. Just make sure the barn is secure at night, so nothing gets to him.

Jody

He's a bronze turkey, I don't know if he's broad breasted or not... got him from the farm and home store, it just said bronze on the sign.

2572761980101670974S500x500Q85.jpg

2403901220101670974S500x500Q85.jpg

2828086640101670974S500x500Q85.jpg

As for making sure the barn's secure... we don't even have a door on the barn, half the front side is open. But not having much problems with predators lately, thankfully. We're planning to put some kind of door on it, just haven't been able to yet. Getting a friend to haul a chicken house out here sometime so we can get them all moved in there.

Last edited:
Ive had turkeys for a few years now:D some roost some dont hes not a broad breasted his chest would be twice that size if he was, any way to lock that handsome fella up to safety? if he decides he dont want to roost? Im in major varmit country here in NH none of my birds are safe at night I have everything here,bears coons foxes coydogs mt lion fishercats (heard one tonite even) I have to lock all the coops and barns enjoy your new guy I just love turkeys they are my favorite birds:D

It's been pretty safe here as far as predators lately... we had some problems awhile back, lost a couple of chicks... our biggest worry here is bf's dog, but she stays locked up most the time if we're not watching her... I think she's what got one of my turkeys not long ago though, since it was just killed and not eaten or anything. We're getting rid of the dog soon though, soon as we find someone that will buy her...

We've been planning to put a door on the barn, but we have so much going on here lately that we haven't gotten around to it. We're also supposed to be getting a chicken house hauled in here and haven't gotten to that either cuz we really need to clean up the farm before we bring anything in... our friend that will haul it for us has been out here junking cars and scrapping metal... if he'd stop bringing in more junk, it'd be clean within a week lol

But yeah, they're pretty safe for now I think... I do set the trap at night, all I catch is my little teenage chicks in the mornings lol

Back
Top Bottom