My tom has been mating with his hen, what should I expect?

Udeagbala

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
Hi guys for two days now have observed that my male bronze Turkey has been mating his hen consistently, in fact when I chased them into their Coop this evening he also attempted meeting her in there. so I just feel anxious to know what to expect as times goes on.
I've read a lot on the internet about bronze breasted Turkeys unable to naturally reproduce but mine aren't that big and also they've become accustomed to their environment they forage a lot too, so they spend a large number of time outdoors I only take them into their Coop at night.

Attachments

• 20201218_165005.jpg
    20201218_165005.jpg
    749 KB · Views: 22
Hi guys for two days now have observed that my male bronze Turkey has been mating his hen consistently, in fact when I chased them into their Coop this evening he also attempted meeting her in there. so I just feel anxious to know what to expect as times goes on.
I've read a lot on the internet about bronze breasted Turkeys unable to naturally reproduce but mine aren't that big and also they've become accustomed to their environment they forage a lot too, so they spend a large number of time outdoors I only take them into their Coop at night.
First there is no such thing as a Bronze Breasted turkey. There are Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys and there are heritage Bronze turkeys.

Broad Breasted turkeys are commercially produced through artificial insemination. It is more convenient, reliable and safe than natural reproduction for Broad Breasted turkeys. Broad Breasted turkeys can reproduce naturally but it is not efficient and the hens are not capable of being good mothers.

The image you posted is of a heritage Black turkey and not of a Broad Breasted Bronze.

From what I've read: keep the nest area off the ground and with a narrow entrance to make it inaccessible to the tom. Toms will try to mate hens on the nest and break eggs.She needs a safe rimmed 18x18 + platform nest area.

From what I've read: keep the nest area off the ground and with a narrow entrance to make it inaccessible to the tom. Toms will try to mate hens on the nest and break eggs.She needs a safe rimmed 18x18 + platform nest area.
Turkeys are natural ground nesters. Yes the tom should be prevented from having access to the nest.

They do not need an elevated nest. One of the simplest nest sites is to lean a pallet against a wall.

Turkeys are natural ground nesters. Yes the tom should be prevented from having access to the nest.

They do not need an elevated nest. One of the simplest nest sites is to lean a pallet against a wall.
I'm getting started in the turkey world in May glad I saw your advice on the pallet nest box.

Back
Top Bottom